CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My dead Seville

rockfangd

Well I may have to put my  97 seville away earlier than I wanted this year.

I had been driving it daily til a week or so ago. I got home from work one night, went out the next morning and the battery was nearly completely dead. Wouldn't even do a full turn. I had to leave it and take my other car. 

I had to wait til the weekend to charge the battery. Then it started fine. I drove it that day and now it is dead again.

The problem now is that I cannot reach a charger to it. I tried  to jump start it with 2 jump starters and neither helped. so I figure I will have to pull the battery.

I know the battery will be replaced before spring but I am still stumped on how it was dead overnight in the first place. 

Now my 96 Deville awhile back had the same issue and what happened with that one was the blower motor went and ran til the battery was dead.

I hope that is not the issue here. 

Just bummed because thanks to my lovely schedule I dont have the time to get to it so it has to sit. On the plus side the battery is almost 10 years old and was trouble free before this issue.

Good thing I got my trusty Deville. I have no complaints with that one.

Happy Motoring. I think our summer ran late this year

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

So I finally found a little time to charge the battery today. 

It fired right up.

I am going to slow charge it overnight and try to see how it goes during the week.

Maybe I will notice something that will tell me what caused it to go dead so fast in the first place

GM FAN FOREVER

11 hours ago, rockfangd said:

So I finally found a little time to charge the battery today. 

It fired right up.

I am going to slow charge it overnight and try to see how it goes during the week.

Maybe I will notice something that will tell me what caused it to go dead so fast in the first place

I am going to go out on a limb and say that after 10 years, the battery went bad and quickly drained itself dead.  I am curious if you had alternator issues on that car?  I was taught that a battery past its prime places a heavy load on the charging system.  

In either case, I am glad it's ok so far.  What battery did you get? My garage queen has an optima.

I have only run Delco 78 series batteries in all 3 of my GMs.

I have had no charging system issues. 

I now think that this could be the cause of my ABS and Traction lights come on on startup. 

If the battery does not have enough amperage then it may not be able to power everything on startup.

today  I went 60 miles with 4 stops. No issues. Tomorrow is going to be cold so I guess I will find out in the morning if it will leave me hanging

GM FAN FOREVER

Oddly enough I have been driving it daily again and have had no issues. Fires right up. No lights either. Weird. It goes into storage for he winter in another week or so so I will just have to see what happens

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived