CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I found a company that can reprogram the PCM in my 02 Eldorado, so now engine mods, swaps, tunes, cams, etc. are viable options. It's going to cost $2400-$2700 at a local shop specializing in the Northstar blown head gasket problem to have my engine repaired and oil leaks fixed depending upon how much I have them do to the car.

They recommend upgrading to the head stud kit if I plan to add nitrous or a turbo: otherwise use the oversized bolts and inserts they keep in stock.

The 4.4 superchargers are affordable in used condition. If they will bolt up in place of the stock 4.6 intake, then it's a no-brainer; we go supercharged. However, will the vacuum valve be enough to control the excessive boost pressures or do I have to use a computer and harness from the 4.4 to regulate it?

If the 4.4 cams and/or heads will bolt up, then that is a possibility.

However, I can buy a used low miles 4.4 supercharged motor for just over half of what it would cost to get my 4.6 repaired. I just don't know much about how the 4.4 SC motor is set up. Is it a coil-on-plug like mine? Will I have water pump relocation issues? How hard would it be to convert it to a transverse mount configuration? Are the nickle and dime parts and conversions going to cost over $1,000?

Either way, the end result must be that my instrument cluster and climate control system functionality remains the same.

I understand that the 4.4 is a much stronger block than the 4.6, but I also  understand that the 4.6 can handle 1,000 h.p. I'd be happy with anything above 420 h.p. or close.

Both options mentioned above would be cheaper than an LS4 swap and the N* would hold together longer than the LS.

Decisions......

Who can give some good tech here; I'm stuck at the crossroads.

Thanks

Cody

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=96

Disapointing: I received this reply from the 1st shop I foumd advertising that they can reprogram the Northstar computer:

"I haven't mapped a P06 N* PCM for a supercharger.  frankly i don't want to do such a mail order tune based on theory, unexpected behavior may show up which will require multiple remapping to adequately address.

an LS4 swap would present its own problems as the E40 ECM is GMLAN so it will not talk with the J1850 system in this car and the other modules on the bus (BCM, trac ctrl, etc).  i suppose one could switch to a P01 (LS1 type) PCM.  it's a J1850 PCM but there is still no guarantee it will interact properly (trac ctrl and instrumentation features may still not all work, etc) in 02 N* system."

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

At least it is good tech and explains WHY we don't see modded Caddys of this era on the street.

I should not have posted this thread until getting a confirmation from that company. 

I'm still awaiting a response from the Fiero community. They often run turbocharged Northstars. 

There must be a workaround somewhere.

Archived