CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My DeVille Got Hit

jndnaps

Hey folks, long time no write. Well my old 96 DeVille got hit by a drunk/high driver Friday. It made it through Hurricane Irma without a scratch. Had it all covered up in the driveway for the storm. We were without power for 7 days and we spent a lot of time after the storm sitting in it to get some A/C. Friday I went to top off the tank and this dumb a#$ drunk and high B#%$h hit me while I was passing her in the left lane. She was in the center lane and as we were almost right next to each other I saw her start to turn into the right lane. Then, looking forward, I caught her in the corner of my eye all of a sudden jerking the wheel to the left and right for me. I hit the horn and got the drivers side tires up in the grass trying to avoid her but she got me. She was arrested for DUI and possession of a controlled substance. She had a valid insurance card, but don't know if she still has insurance yet. Just put in a claim today. I'm sooooooooooo pissed off. The car had the original paint and still looked great. Gonna need a rear door and some minor quarter work. Problem is the car is Diamond White and there's no way they're gonna match up with that 21YO paint. RRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Caddy Hit.jpg 2.jpg

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaw.  It is no surprise what stupidity causes.

I hope you get it fixed. It sucks when the quarter gets hit.

Does the door open and close? If so you may have gotten really lucky.

I worry all the time with my 2 caddys because it is alot of time, and work to keep them nice .(Especially in NY)

And all it takes is one person to mess it up

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

21 hours ago, rockfangd said:

Aaw.  It is no surprise what stupidity causes.

I hope you get it fixed. It sucks when the quarter gets hit.

Does the door open and close? If so you may have gotten really lucky.

I worry all the time with my 2 caddys because it is alot of time, and work to keep them nice .(Especially in NY)

And all it takes is one person to mess it up

Yeah I'm still steaming. The door works fine. Was hoping to find one in the bone yard the same color. There's a 94 in Sarasota, Fla the guy's selling the whole car for $400 it's the Pearl/Diamond white color, but I don't think it's as light as the 96. That one looks darker. She has insurance and I'm taking the car to get checked out tomorrow. They're probably gonna try and total the car. I can get a door for $70 at the bone yard. I'm not in a big hurry so maybe I'll get lucky and a 96 Diamond White DeVille will show up. If I can find one the same color I can at least get away without painting the inside.  

IIRC they are clipped on from behind. 

GM used a few different setups, some have pins that the plastic clips lock into.

I will have to look into it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Sorry this happened to your car.  you might have to put your boxing mitts on to fight with the insurance company,  but believe me when I tell you that paint technology, and color matching and blending has come a long way.  Your initial check from the insurance will be a lowball figure.  bringing it to the right restoration/ custom paint shop will help.  The shop will dictate how to properly repair the vehicle.  Google around to see a local shop that specializes in custom paint, and see how they can help.

GOOD LUCK

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 10:02 AM, winterset said:

Sorry this happened to your car.  you might have to put your boxing mitts on to fight with the insurance company,  but believe me when I tell you that paint technology, and color matching and blending has come a long way.  Your initial check from the insurance will be a lowball figure.  bringing it to the right restoration/ custom paint shop will help.  The shop will dictate how to properly repair the vehicle.  Google around to see a local shop that specializes in custom paint, and see how they can help.

GOOD LUCK

Yeah her insurance is giving me the run around now, but I have a lawyer for my injury and they're gonna work them for the car repair for me. I found a door that's the same color, but it was re painted on the outside. The inside of the door in the jamb area is the factory Diamond White and matches pretty much on the money. It's been almost a month now and I'm still FN pissed.  

To properly match/blend the paint, the front passenger door will need to be partially painted to blend the color.  I do not believe the old technique of painting just a single panel is practiced anymore.  The eye is focused on comparing the color match between two panels, but once they are blended within a panel, it is not noticeable. The paint shop / dealership should also give a lifetime guarantee on the repair work.

4 hours ago, winterset said:

To properly match/blend the paint, the front passenger door will need to be partially painted to blend the color.  I do not believe the old technique of painting just a single panel is practiced anymore.  The eye is focused on comparing the color match between two panels, but once they are blended within a panel, it is not noticeable. The paint shop / dealership should also give a lifetime guarantee on the repair work.

Yeah, I know how that all works for sure. The shop guarantees the color match and gives a lifetime guarantee. I've seen a lot of jobs done on cars where you can see the blend. Some were terrible. I used to buy and sell cars and saw a ton of them in the auctions. The good thing with this door is it's the same color and has the factory paint on the inside. The outside was re sprayed in the same color, but they didn't do a great job. I bought a van at the auction one time and the sliding door was caved in. I sat on it for like 6 or 8 months and found a perfect match. It was red and after buffing the new/old door and the van you couldn't tell it was a different door. Yep! I got lucky for sure. :blink:

I feel your pain.  My wife's 2004 Deville got hit in the church parking lot a week and a half ago.  No note was left.  Right rear quarter panel, rear bumper, and right tail light damaged -  $1600 in damage.  Michigan is a no-fault state so it goes on my insurance policy.  Whoever hit it knew they hit it and just left.

Two weeks earlier, my boat trailer got hit in the parking lot of the launch ramp - no note left there either... At least I was able to fix that myself.  It just makes one feel violated.  Makes me want to buy a video camera and put it in place so I can catch these SOBs in action...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

2 hours ago, KHE said:

I feel your pain.  My wife's 2004 Deville got hit in the church parking lot a week and a half ago.  No note was left.  Right rear quarter panel, rear bumper, and right tail light damaged -  $1600 in damage.  Michigan is a no-fault state so it goes on my insurance policy.  Whoever hit it knew they hit it and just left.

Two weeks earlier, my boat trailer got hit in the parking lot of the launch ramp - no note left there either... At least I was able to fix that myself.  It just makes one feel violated.  Makes me want to buy a video camera and put it in place so I can catch these SOBs in action...

Wow! Sorry to hear. Florida is a no fault state too. But, I got lucky because she was arrested for DUI, and  possession of a controlled substance. She also got a ticket for careless driving. She has insurance and she's 100% at fault so her insurance will be covering it since I don't have full coverage on mine. I'm still pissed at this %$#%&.. They had it at $2,900.00 in damage at first. Guy said it would be totaled at that amount. Then they came back at $2,000.00.. Not totaled and the shop can do it for that. Not sure if I'm gonna bother fixing it. Got a door cheap, but may not use it. :blink:

"Totaled" is an insurance company term, you and your lawyer should ignore it.

I once caw a beautiful yellow 1953 Buick convertible show car drive through an intersection, and some yahoo decided to run a red light and do a left turn, with a visible-a-half-block-away I'm-coming-through-gang-WAY attitude, and he careened into the left quarter panel.  This was in 2015, I believe.  I didn't drive up and volunteer as a witness because I was a half block away and all eyes were on this jerk at the time, in the center of a small suburban town (the main intersection in the center of the town!) and there were a lot of those eyes, many of them within feet of the incident.

I have seen insurance adjusters representing people that are 100% at fault try to offer junk price or less for a car that their client has damaged.  Just say no; don't get mad, ignore the word "total" and demand that the car be fixed or replaced to your satisfaction.  Note that replacement of a cherry Diamond White 1996 Deville is impractical, if not impossible.  Any experienced personal damage lawyer will know all this and much more as second nature.

Yes, they can fix your car, to your satisfaction, and the repair will make the car like new.  Finding the right shop is the key, and handling the insurance agent for the other driver is a nuisance but doable.

I hope the young girl got out of a car and into rehab.  Drunk, stoned, and careening into Diamond White Cadillacs in traffic is no way to go through life.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

23 hours ago, KHE said:

I have cameras in my cars.  They shut down, and are motion activated.  All of My blackvue cameras were expensive, but well worth the security.  4 years later, and the prices came down some.  

With the backup cameras on most cars now, and a hard disk in the dashboard, I'm wondering when somebody will get the idea of having dashcam, including the rear view camera, recorded with a week of history available for download on a memory stick.  Waking up the PZM/BCM would turn on the cameras.  YouTube dashcams would become a lot more entertaining.  Right now the most hilarious ones are Russian insurance fraud compilations.

I have a dashcam on my car.  I have seen some great shots that I didn't bother to take off of it before they got overwritten.  For example, an Esclade was tailgating me when I pulled up to a red light, and it pulled over to the left turn lane and ran the light, without turning.  I'm not in a driver's ed state, so pulling up to a red light safely means that you watch out for cars turning left and cutting the corner clear over to your side of the road where you would be stopping for the light, even in the right lane.  Etc.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

It's a shame that so many states issue a drivers license to so many thoughtless, anal retentive morons. It's sorry to see modern human society placing making a buck over individual safety. Here is what parking at Wally World can get you:

00d0d_kohcCx3IH23_1200x900.jpg

That one would need sidecams.  I've heard of building surveillance cameras catching parking lot hit-and-runs and keyed car perpetrators, but I'll bet a box of mouse-ears hats that Wally World doesn't keep parking lot video for customers.

It does look like there is a distinct print of a license plate bracket.  Look very close and see if you can make out a license plate number.

I was thinking it looked like an imprint from a rear step bumper. Probably from a professional pick-up TRUCK driver who missed the backing up into the stall next to the Deville lesson...

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

You can rent a good truck, but you can't rent a good truck driver.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck as well.  I will keep my '96 Deville in the garage on the trickle charger for a few more months.  If life is any indication of this thread, they are targeted!!  Yes, might have to get 2 cheap side cameras from China on eBay.  I'll have to figure out how to keep the cigarette lighters always on.

1 hour ago, winterset said:

Sorry to hear of your bad luck as well.  I will keep my '96 Deville in the garage on the trickle charger for a few more months.  If life is any indication of this thread, they are targeted!!  Yes, might have to get 2 cheap side cameras from China on eBay.  I'll have to figure out how to keep the cigarette lighters always on.

I think the cigarette lighters come back on when the PZM wakes up, which will happen if the car is tapped.  Try rocking the bumpers with something plugged in one that has a pilot light.

Archived