CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

When I am asked if I want to clear all codes, are they permanently deleted? I've seen mention of a procedure to clear codes by touching the unattached battery leads together for a few seconds...why is that different than clearing all codes on the dash? 

Also, can a code reader find deleted codes?

Yes, they are permanently deleted, BUT if the problem still exists they may reset immediately or if the ignition key is cycled. 

The battery disconnect and touching the disconnected terminals together, clears all codes, resets all modules and drains any capacitors or keep alive memory. It is a "fast" way to make sure everything is "powered down", or the alternative, "long" way, is to wait a minimum of 30 minutes, and then reconnect the battery. When time is money, no tech wants to wait 30 minutes for a module to power down.

No, a code reader or even the older Driver Information Center or DIC, can only detect current codes or history codes that have not met the ignition cycle count needed to clear automatically. So.. when you start the vehicle If a previous fault did not reoccur and the auto clear is set at 30 ignition cycles ( an ignition cycle is much more than simply turning the key off and back on - ( that is an ignition key cycle )) it does not clear but it gets "marked" as a history code.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

11 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

Yes, they are permanently deleted, BUT if the problem still exists they may reset immediately or if the ignition key is cycled. 

The battery disconnect and touching the disconnected terminals together, clears all codes, resets all modules and drains any capacitors or keep alive memory. It is a "fast" way to make sure everything is "powered down", or the alternative, "long" way, is to wait a minimum of 30 minutes, and then reconnect the battery. When time is money, no tech wants to wait 30 minutes for a module to power down.

No, a code reader or even the older Driver Information Center or DIC, can only detect current codes or history codes that have not met the ignition cycle count needed to clear automatically. So.. when you start the vehicle If a previous fault did not reoccur and the auto clear is set at 30 ignition cycles ( an ignition cycle is much more than simply turning the key off and back on - ( that is an ignition key cycle )) it does not clear but it gets "marked" as a history code.

Are codes "date/time stamped" for later reference? Can a reader see these time stamps?

Can a reader accomplish the same result as the "fast" power down , cable routine? I can see the benefit of knocking all the weeds down to get a good sense of what is happening "now".

What other info does a reader give me? Will the small, smart-phone, bluetooth readers I"ve seen advertised for "cheap" do the same thing as a "pro" reader? I got one of those a few years ago...never used it, never plugged it in, never installed the smartphone app. (I was going through personal issues...I think it can be called "Amazon Fever"....( probably much better ones avail now...better go look...maybe not...don't need a relapse!)

Lot's of questions regarding the reader, huh?...basically trying to see if it is worthwhile for this old goat to add a "real" reader to his on again/off again mechanics tool box.  Can't see it worth my while to spend alot of money, but I have seen some cheaper ones advertised at HF. I normally use HF for throwaway or consumable items, but this may be  Really happy with the DTC so far, just looking to improve my game! With y'all's help...

The short answer is "no" it would not be worthwhile.

Unless you spend $800-$1000 for a Tech2 you will only be able to read the generic OBD2 codes. You will not be able to communicate with the other modules.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived