CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello all. Newbie here with a couple of questions. I recently inherited a 95 Deville with the 4.9l and 180k on the clock. Drove the car home. Checked for codes and got p041 and i039. Checked the suspension and po replaced rear shocks with Monroe so not worried about that. I checked the distributor and believe it to be oe so I went to take the cap off only to find ALL the hold down bolts were rusted and stripped so the cap isn't coming off. Purchased new distributor and believe it to be installed correctly but now getting code p012. Also, now there is no fuel pressure @ the rail so that might be either a relay or the pump? All fuses are good. I have also noticed that some one has been into the anti theft as several wires are not attached to any thing but the security light goes out and the car was running like this so now I'm confused. Car cranks but will not start. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

P012 is no distributor reference, with no dist reference the fuel pump will not turn on because the pcm does not "see" the engine cranking.

Are you sure the new distributor was "complete" ? Did it have a drive gear on the bottom. was the drift pin installed through the shaft. Did it have the hall effect and the ignition module installed? Very few are truly "complete" and ready to install.

Your original P041 was no hall effect switch signal - you have to push down on the dist cap retainers and then turn C-Clockwise to remove. With the old distributor out crab the retainers from the bottom then pull and turn. Check the old and new distributor connector and make sure all the parts are the same and the wiring and the connector pins are good.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

thank you tech. new distributor is complete, ready to use. new gear, pin, cam sensor, icm, cap, rotor, coil. old distributor had a cap held on by bolts, not the pins that get turned. i must not have it in right. i will check again. am i correct with the following procedure:

find compression stroke

set timing mark to "0"

install distributor with rotor pointing directly at #1

jump pins "a" & "b" on the aldl connector

install timing light

start car and allow engine to reach operating temp

adjust timing to "10" degrees btdc

car will not start so i cant set timing.

Yes, that is the correct procedure.

With the timing marks aligned you will be on cyl #1 or cyl #6. if it starts you're good, if it doesn't start lift the dist enough to turn the rotor 180 degrees and align it up to #1. 

You have a 50 - 50 chance to get it right. finding TDC is a pita... 

If it STILL doesn't start we will have to regroup.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

ok, so i'm hoping that i've solved my problem, i'll know when the battery finishes charging. when installing the distributor the teeth have to align with the cam but at the base it also needs to align with the shaft for the oil pump which i couldn't get right so it was always "off". now when i install i align  the rotor for #1 and turn the oil pump shaft till every thing is right. maybe she'll fire soon?

Yes, use a long flat edge screwdriver and turn the oil pump drive shaft to match, if it won't drop in, lift the dist and turn the oil pump shaft a little at a time until it does drop in.

One other thing b4 you do that is to make sure they installed the gear correctly to the distributor shaft. The "dot" on the gear must be aligned with the rotor "pointer"

To clarify, you will need to have the rotor pointing CClockwise or to the left of the #1 cyl position cuz when it drops it will turn Clockwise as it drops into place.

3 minutes ago, Göran W said:

Is it possible, on the 4,9, to install on wrong lap?

It will either be on #1 cylinder or it will be on #6 with the timing marks aligned see above response. You have a 50 - 50 chance to get it right.

Archived