CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New ACDelco Parts versus Old GM / ACDelco OEM Parts

area310dude

Hi cadillac guys

I thought about this subject searching for a replacement EGR valve on my '92 Eldorado.

Since GM went bust some time ago and took a government bailout, there's been a rumor on the internet that ACDelco parts are not really original GM / ACDelco any more.  The parts seem to all be made in either mainland China or Mexico, with plenty of complaints about the functionality of these latest offerings.

My question is, which is better to buy:

A New Old Stock (NOS) EGR valve from the 1990s that actually has GM and Rochester stamps on it

or

A New 2017 Chinese ACDelco EGR valve that has a Part Number stamped on it that doesn't even match the Part Number on the box it came in?

At first this may seem like a No-Brainer question since the NOS GM / ACDelco parts almost always work better than Chinese stuff, but . . . . .

Is the diaphragm in a positive back-pressure EGR valve actually made of rubber or plastic that could become brittle with age and prematurely fail?

In that case a new Chinese ACDelco may be the way to go.

I use NOS any time I can.

I have found Delco parts that were rebranded, most coming from Korea or China. 

Welcome to CaddyInfo.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The N-O-S part is the way to go IMO. Those were the ones that were designed for the vehicle. Yes, they failed but not at an alarming rate. 25 years wasn't too bad for your old EGR. IF it is defective... Remember it could be a plugged passage also.

How are you coming with that project BTW ?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Each of these can be researched on Google....Just a short list to check out...

Lots of the 'GM' brands are now being out-sourced out to China.

Lots of fake / counterfeit / bootleg Chinese parts. AC Delco and Delphi are just 2 examples. Fake oil filters and spark plugs.

RockAuto is listing and selling Bosch parts as OEM Delphi parts. Using Delphi pictures and part numbers.

Bearings? Good luck finding one actually Made-in-the-USA....

www?....it is the wild wild web out there.

10 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

How are you coming with that project BTW ?

Slow but steady progress!  It will get done, eventually.  Thanks buddy.

maybe it's a weak excuse, but I find it hard to find fix-it time for my car with a full-time job and other responsibilities.

So a NOS EGR valve that could be 25 years old just sitting on a shelf would not have much degradation of whatever plastic / rubber seals or diaphragms exist inside it?

16 minutes ago, area310dude said:

So a NOS EGR valve that could be 25 years old just sitting on a shelf would not have much degradation of whatever plastic / rubber seals or diaphragms exist inside it?

I guess it's possible but I wouldn't be concerned about it. I still believe the quality would be better than the knock-offs.

I can definitely relate to the lack of fix-it time...

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived