CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have a new one.  I have not done a WOT in some time and my 03 SLS started really rattling on start ups after sitting for several days.  So I took it out today found open road and manually shifted down to second and pulled her up and when I hit 5800 it shifted into third gear.  I was manually in second but the car shifted itself.  Maybe in WOT exercises prior I never hit 5800 but I tried it several more times and each time it shifted when I hit 5800.  One other note, once the car slowed down to 50ish and the RPM went below 2000 it down shifted back into second.   Is this a RPM limiter, and normal? 

sounds normal to me. 

It prevents damage. I dont know if I would typically rev that high. Usually around 5500 tops. You dont want it to go into third gear

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

From the owners manual;

Notice: Don’t shift into SECOND (2) unless you are going slower than 65 mph (105 km/h), or you can damage your engine.

As @rockfangd stated it is forcing the shift to prevent over speed damage in 2nd gear. There is also a rev limiter in neutral to prevent high RPM neutral drops.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived