CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

04 Seville SLS hard starting

My Seville SLS is hard to start but does after 10 seconds of cranking and repeatedly stomping on the accelerator it starts. I've replaced the MAP sensor, fuel pump and filter and the Both CRK sensors already. It's throwing codes P0385 and P1372. Could one of the new CRK sensors be defective or does it need the relearn procedure done? Thanks!

:welcomesmiley:

First, the repeated "stomping" on the accel pedal does absolutely nothing on a fuel injected engine. If you HOLD the pedal to the floor while cranking it will put the PCM in fuel cut-off or clear mode, other than that it does nothing. 

The P0385 is a crank sensor B fault code, the P1372 is a crank sensor  A - B correlation fault code. Before changing the B sensor again, I would check both A & B connector terminals and the wiring for damage or loose connection.

Does the vehicle have high mileage? There are engine mechanical and other conditions that will cause the code, but check the wiring first. The sensors are known to fail but new sensors aren't usually defective.

The relearn is required after replacing the crank sensors.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Thanks for the reply. 

Both sensors have just been replaced with new ones. I will check the wiring/connection of sensors and or replace sensor B again as I have bought another sensor.  I am not sure the relearn procedure was done although the technician who replaced the sensors for me said he had that function on his scanner as I told it needed the relearn procedure done when i dropped it off to him, but after I picked it up and got home and had the hard starting, I called him and told him of the hard  start problem and code and asked him if he had done the relearn procedure he said he couldn't remember. I advised him if that was the case he probably did not do it. I am hesitant to take the car back to him. Who can do the relearn procedure and what machines or how is the relearn procedure done? Is it something the dealer service department has to do or a special scanner needed? 

I am still confused as to why repeated stomping on the accelerator allows it to start so it seems.  It has 97k babied miles on it. 

Thanks again!

No special tools required. I will look through my old posts, as I sent the relearn procedure on another post.

I'm sure the cranking time is why it is starting. The extended crank time is the PCM figuring out piston position.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

To do idle relearn,

• 1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
  • 2. The ECM will start to learn the new idle.
  • 3. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
  • 4. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
  • 5. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.

Archived