CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well don't know if its a stupid question! But I've had my car for 6 months and the temp gage has always stayed at 12 o'clock. Latley I've noticed its started to move barley a 16th of an inch hotter an back, I've also noticed the upper radiator hose went from being solid hard to now I can actually squeeze it when its hot? IDK which is supposed to be right or if there's a problem or not. 2001 eldorado with 44 thousand miles, runs beautiful! Any Help

:welcomesmiley:

There are no stupid questions :)

It's summer so it will normally run a little hotter. You indicated it will return to the 12 o'clock position which is good. The 1/16 of an inch and returning to normal is showing that the cooling fans are coming on or increasing speed and cooling the engine down

Being able to squeeze the upper hose when the engine is at normal operating temp is okay.

Continue to monitor the temp gauge and if it looks like it is going to continue to rise past the 235 range as indicated in the picture, start looking for a place to pull over and let it cool down.

Temp.jpeg

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Ok great, Thanks. That's cool to see the actual numbers included in the temp gage! Now how bout if the upper hose is like solid hard but the temp is still right at normal. Cause that's also happened a few times, that's why I got a little nervous when I could squeeze it! Didn't know if I was loosing pressure some where. But there's no leaks!!

It all depends on the driving cycle. Usually when the hose is hard to squeeze or "rock hard" it means the thermostat hasn't opened yet, once it opens the and the pressures stabilize the hose is more "squeeze" able.

The surge tank cap controls & maintains an 18 psi pressure in the system.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Ok, yeah that makes sense. Thank U OldCadTech! Just get a little nervous with these Northstars, trying to stay ahead of that overheating curse!! But I love them. Its my third Eldo but the other 2 were 94, 98 this ones 2001 so hopefully not gonna get the HG disease.     Thanks again Brother,  PEACE

Archived