CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

northstar surges after cleaning MAF & Throttle body

did you remove the throttle body?

Is engine light on?

Welcome to CaddyInfo

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

:welcomesmiley:

Check the Idle Air Control valve and the throttle plate. If they aren't spotless the carbon "goo" can build up on the throttle plate edge during cleaning and play havoc with the minimum air setting forcing the IAC to adjust up and down. BOTH sides and the edge of the throttle plate MUST be clean.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Some MAF sensors can be cleaned if you are very careful. They can also be easily damaged and require replacement.

If the throttle body was removed. Chances are you will need a new O-ring gasket. They swell and are impossible to reuse. 

The code 171 and 174 was set. I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I removed the MAF and cleaned with CRC MAF spray cleaner. I then cleaned the throttle body with CRC throttle body spray without removing it. Both sides of the throttle plate and throttle body are now looking like new. The codes were erased but now the engine now surges at idle. Thanks to you all for your responses.

Ummm.....you do know about the intake rubber plenum that leaks causing 171 and 174?  

They leak at the bottom where the intake juices collect....cause 171 and 174...and surging. Cadillac only part. About $20. 

Intake has to come off to replace. 

thats what I was thinking also,

My 01 eldo had the same problem.

Took 2 hours tops to remove intake, replace injector orings, clean egr, clean TB, and replace intake gaskets and TB coupler.

Problem did not reoccur

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Found my pic on Google......rubber coupler in red circle.

It will look brand new from the top...be.rotted on the bottom.

intakeplenum.jpg

Archived