CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering Hose R+R

So now a power steering leak has me under it's spell....

Took my baby down to local Les Schwabb tire store and they were kind enough to put it on the rack and we diagnosed the leak to be in the HIgh pressure line. The quoted me  about a two hour job, and a part that would cost over 250 big ones....WHOA NELLY! This means about $500 to fix it there....

Since I'd already looked at prices for the assorted power steering parts, before I went knew they weren't getting the job...Took a quick look and assessed that it shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as I got her up on stands to give me a little room.

Then went to the Inet and started looking at prices Saw some 150-200 dollar parts for ACdelco OEM stuff, but also some napa prices in the sub $100 range...much better...

HOWEVER...there seems to be a few different hoses available for my car, with different bends along the metal parts of the hose. Seems to be one that appears to have an upper and lower segments of solid tube with a couple of bends, with a section of braided hose approx in the middle. a pretty simple design. But there were still those OTHER two designs on the page....how do I narrow it down?

SO, I went to ACDelco online, where they asked for my VIN number...now we're getting somewhere...they want the VIN to give me the number of the part for MY CAR in particular...right?

Input the VIN and it shot back THREE different high pressure hoses...what gives?

So I have a few more questions for you guys.

Unless I remove and compare it to one in a store or in a picture, is there a way to zero in on the exact one?

From my quick look under the car, it seems to be a pretty simple straight, unbent, possibly flex hose kind of in the middle design. Since it is incased in a plastic shroud/covering, I can't tell if it is flex of just a lazy bend curving under the engine. IS it possible it is a metal high pressure braided flex hose in the middle of two formed ends?

Has anyone ever cut out the leaking area of a high pressure hose/tube, and put a piece of tube back in it's place with a couple of couplings? IF it is flex, and if the leak is there, it seems it would be a simple fix to replace the flex with solid tube and a few connecting couplings. I'm not afraid of tubing and couplings...

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

any hose will work. look on rockauto.com. I usually use the old bracket off the old hose and transfer it to the new one. You could probably get a hose shipped from rock auto for 60$

Are you going to do the pressure hose replacement yourself? Are you small, wiry and under 40? 

If the answer to both of those questions was yes, then make the repair at home.

If you have a lift, yes....

If you are over 50, don't have a lift but you like the feeling of power steering fluid dripping down your arm and lubricating your armpit, then make the repair at home.

Power steering fluid to me is like castor oil that your parents made you take cuz it cured everything.

I have an above average tool supply of specialty wrenches, line wrenches, air tools and I have replaced P/S pressure hoses on lots of Cadillacs, BUT....

I tackled a power steering pressure hose on my 98 Seville, I won but I looked like I lost when I crawled out several hours later. That thing kicked my hiney, took me three days to get clean  :scenic: :fighting0030: 

If you STILL wish to continue....

Look at your old hose, does it have a P/Steering pressure switch connected to an in-line hose port? Does it have 2 hose sections or just one?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

On 8/7/2017 at 11:39 PM, OldCadTech said:

Are you going to do the pressure hose replacement yourself? Are you small, wiry and under 40? 

If the answer to both of those questions was yes, then make the repair at home.

If you have a lift, yes....

If you are over 50, don't have a lift but you like the feeling of power steering fluid dripping down your arm and lubricating your armpit, then make the repair at home.

Power steering fluid to me is like castor oil that your parents made you take cuz it cured everything.

I have an above average tool supply of specialty wrenches, line wrenches, air tools and I have replaced P/S pressure hoses on lots of Cadillacs, BUT....

I tackled a power steering pressure hose on my 98 Seville, I won but I looked like I lost when I crawled out several hours later. That thing kicked my hiney, took me three days to get clean  :scenic: :fighting0030: 

If you STILL wish to continue....

Look at your old hose, does it have a P/Steering pressure switch connected to an in-line hose port? Does it have 2 hose sections or just one?

I have a very agile, flexible, determined, mechanical,.....grandson! Sounds like this is a job for our combined talents...his physical, and my supervisorial. Ha!

Assuming I can coordinate his datiing, work, lounging, schedule with my needs, we will be tackling this problem as soon as possible. I am now on the hunt for some craigslist car ramps that will be very helpful in the future.

Got 'er dun today, about two hours of my grandson's time and attention did the deed. He on his back underneath and me up top and passing the tools. When I picked up the hose from NAPA, I bought an 18mm crowsfoot planning for the worst, as you warned me about the factory-Hulk installed lower end fitting. As it turned out, that was not a hassle at all, didn't have to put any extra-super grunts and groans on it to get it off. Top side pump connection easy-peasy but where we spent all the time was a small clip right below the pump in a very hard to reach place...but eventually got it off and the hose came out from the bottom with a minimum of cussing. Time spent on the re-install was at the same clip, but we won!  and about 2 hrs after we started, we were cleaned up. Thanks for all the good tips and things to look out for. Luckily the CadGods shone down their loving light and I am back in my wheels, turning effortlessy, both left and right!

Archived