CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello folks I own a 1999 Cadillac Deville and I was told by my mechanic that I have a blown headgasket...

We have tried using blue devil headgasket sealer which worked for about 1 day and then the overheating appeared again.

I was quoted by my mechanic that the job to fix the engine would cost anywhere between 2500-5000 dollars depending on the severity of the damage.

Coolant was replaced thermostat was replaced... unfortunately this did not fix the issue

I rely on my Cadillac heavily for work and I need a inexpensive fix and fast one ASAP that will last me and not pillage my bank account so that I can continue working.

if anyone has any advice on how and what I should do thanks...

Sorry, NO quick fix for the head gasket. The "fixes" out there are all snake oil.

See post above...

Repair will be closer to the $5-6000 by the time all the necessary items are replaced. Cost to repair exceeds cost to replace.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

darn looks like Cadillac really smurfed this one up... to be honest I FEEL like they should be responsible for this considering the nature of the issue and the fact that there was a recall for this particular issue Cadillac should own up to it but of course we don't live in a perfect world and looks like I'll have to spend thousands of dollars replacing it.

Dont want to start anything But I honestly disagree.

If one knew all of the details. There is more to it than we all know.

I had the engine replaced in my 97 D'elegance for less than 2k and have been trouble free.

I also posted response yesterday on your other topic

Considering the car is almost 20 years old I think it surpassed its expectations.

How many miles are on it? 

It is a wonderful engine that may or may not have a flaw. There is too many variables as to what can cause the failure. 

I wish you the best of luck whatever way you decide to go

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

It is the nature of most aluminum blocks. Pulled head bolts threads can happen. 

Toyota 2.4L aluminium engines have a huge problem with pulled threads. So it is not just a Northstar issue. 

Time-Sert kits are available for both engines to fix pulled threads. Both repair kits are available as rentals. 

It is interesting to note that both the Toyota block and (most) Northstar blocks use the same head bolt thread. M11 x 1.5. 

23 hours ago, rockfangd said:

Dont want to start anything But I honestly disagree.

If one knew all of the details. There is more to it than we all know.

I had the engine replaced in my 97 D'elegance for less than 2k and have been trouble free.

I also posted response yesterday on your other topic

Considering the car is almost 20 years old I think it surpassed its expectations.

How many miles are on it? 

It is a wonderful engine that may or may not have a flaw. There is too many variables as to what can cause the failure. 

I wish you the best of luck whatever way you decide to go

50,000 km

15 hours ago, Logan said:

It is the nature of most aluminum blocks. Pulled head bolts threads can happen. 

Toyota 2.4L aluminium engines have a huge problem with pulled threads. So it is not just a Northstar issue. 

Time-Sert kits are available for both engines to fix pulled threads. Both repair kits are available as rentals. 

It is interesting to note that both the Toyota block and (most) Northstar blocks use the same head bolt thread. M11 x 1.5. 

It was planned , manufacturers plan for their cars to breakdown so that people either repair or replace it;s simple business.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:38 PM, rockfangd said:

so it only has 31k miles on it?

That is really low miles. 

Yeah I bought it from an owner that has never winter driven it really mint condition paint looks brand new and the interior the seats aren't even showing any age or even wrinkles very stable good condition car except for the engine :blink:

• 1 year later...

I agree with CaddyDaddy1999 saying "It was planned , manufacturers plan for their cars to breakdown so that people either repair or replace it;s simple business."

I think they planned on another 50% cost of the new car in repairs after the car was driven off the dealer's lot. My 1997
Deville Concours was about $50k when brand new so that is $25k in repairs if the GM Caddy dealer did all the repairs. I may
even be low on my estimate.

One might assume the cost of repairs during the warranty period is designed to be none or minor.  I also note that many maintenance items are now designed to go 100K miles before service (spark plugs, transmission come to mind)

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

9 hours ago, 97 Deville Concours said:

I agree with CaddyDaddy1999 saying "It was planned , manufacturers plan for their cars to breakdown so that people either repair or replace it;s simple business."

I think they planned on another 50% cost of the new car in repairs after the car was driven off the dealer's lot. My 1997
Deville Concours was about $50k when brand new so that is $25k in repairs if the GM Caddy dealer did all the repairs. I may
even be low on my estimate.

I disagree with CaddyDaddy1999's statement that manufacturers plan for the cars to breakdown.  I do think they pay too much attention to planned obsolescence because its the 2nd and 3rd owners that buy the cars that will eventually be new car buyers.  If the cars last 100,000 miles and are a PIA to subsequent owners, you will never sell new cars to them.

That the 99 Cadillac above had 31,000 miles meant absolutely NOTHING.  How often was the coolant changed?, was it changed at all?   For that matter, 99 was a problematic year in itself, this car could have been one of the blocks that had an issue.   It was never winter driven, the question is how was it maintained.  Even OIL needs to be changed annually, even if only 50 miles has been driven. 

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm