CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No Climate Control display?

Have a problem that just popped up this week with Betty White... (2003 SLS) She decided she doesn't need me to know exactly what temp my AC is set to, or anything about the climate for that matter!  I had it go out temporarily on my way home from work last week, but it came back on the next time I started it. All seems functional yet though...

There is one history code (RIM U1255) which is regarding lost communications with PCM, so think it may be related?

Now it hasn't displayed anything for the last few days.  Can anyone tell me if they've seen this issue or where to begin troubleshooting?  I can start tearing into the console there, but don't want to if its not necessary of course...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

• 1 month later...

Just an update of sorts on this... The display still come/goes, seems real random.  Sure is nice when it works though! LOL

The bigger issue is now I've found I have a leaking AC Evaporator Core, and it will only hold a charge for a couple weeks at best... :angry2:  Of course you have to literally pull the entire dash, console and steering column to replace.  I think I'm going to just live with it, at least for the rest of this summer, which is pretty tolerable here in WI..

I should have figured this was where my leak was coming from when I went to change the cabin filter and the thing was just polluted with black gunk, leaves and road grime! :unsure:Having that packed in there for all those years probably rotted out the AC Core. The evaporator drain hose got plugged twice on me and a lot of black globs where coming out of that tube when I popped it open. Flooded the carpet in the interior both times... Smelled just wonderful of course! :P

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Heres a pic of the dirty filter pack I took out! :blink:

filters.jpg

Thank goodness for long needle-nose pliers to pull those guys out!  Strangest arrangement ever, with the 3 pieces interlocking as you slide them in.  Next to no room to work under there by the gas pedal of course.

pulling.jpg

Sorry but worst  design ever.

I call that poor planning.

I replace both of my Nissan filters annually and have done many more, but where GM put those is a sin. If you didnt know you would never guess it even had them.

How have you confirmed the evaporator is the cause? They do fail but pretty rarely

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Agreed, its the nature of the beast though... Big ol' Northstar in there doesn't leave much room for access of much else!

Yes, technician confirmed with dye coming out of the evap drain.

Archived