CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dreading oil leakage

Hi All.

I would like to take my 1997 Deville on longer road trips but I worry because it leaks oil.

I can smell it through the vents when the fresh air door is open or at stop lights with the windows open.

I am sure this has been discussed but my searching was not great.

I have been going through this for awhile now. My 96 Deville leaked from the day I bought it til the day it was retired. never worried about it.

But If I plan to take a long trip (like 10 hours or so) I dont know if there is issue of a fire hazard.

Now it must be a very small leak as it does not leave puddles in the driveway. Maybe a drop or so over time but nothing more.

Also I have no issue with having to add oil. between oil changes I am lucky if I have to add a quart. Tops.

It has been leaking since the engine was installed(wish I had the money to have it resealed)

Problem is it gets on that crossunder pipe under the pan and must burn off.

I drive it as a Daily driver and have had no issue. I checked all of the oil pan bolts. All were loose to some extent. I used a 1/4 ratchet and tightened them.

I removed and replaced the seals for the oil filter housing, also the oil pressure sender. Neither has done anything to resolve it.

If I clean it down to check the source I forget to recheck it (life goes by too fast)

I dont really want to dump more money into it yet as it has required enough attention since I bought it.

Any suggestions on this? Other than this it runs like new. Dry up top. No other issues.

I assuming it must be oil pan or manifold. Both of which I assume are bigger jobs than I have time to get into

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

You need to reseal the lower bearing case, the oil manifold is the culprit. I have a 96' coming from Michigan on Sunday with 48k with a head gasket issue and I will be resealing the bearing case on that car too. If the car is in good shape and you like it just have the heads and lower bearing case fixed/resealed. 

I wish I could. I do like the car.

Engine was replaced with a donor after I bought it. 

Original engine had head gasket issue. I may have to look into what the cost may be just for reseal.

I cannot afford over 2k again. I dont know if the car is worth that much more considering how much I have already invested

GM FAN FOREVER

I get 1000 miles per quart.  I am not sure if it is mostly leaking or burning out.  I perform only mild WOT's due to engine age.  I might have  a leak at the cam shaft bearing? Behind the harmonic balance?.  I believe it was mentioned that it is also a common leak point.

in either case, in NOV 2015 with about 110k, I drove nonstop from NY to Miami FL without any issue.  I must admit that I do a slight pressure wash on the underside of the engine every 2 years or so.  I do not like the smell or thought of bringing a oily engine into the garage bay.

so yours leaks oil too and you dont worry about it?

Now that you mention it It could possibly be coming from there. It is in that area.

If it is not too hazardous I would rather leave it alone. I just wish I could think of a way to divert it away from that pipe under the engine.

Guess the pipe wont rust

GM FAN FOREVER

1 hour ago, rockfangd said:

so yours leaks oil too and you dont worry about it?

Now that you mention it It could possibly be coming from there. It is in that area.

If it is not too hazardous I would rather leave it alone. I just wish I could think of a way to divert it away from that pipe under the engine.

Guess the pipe wont rust

I don't think mine leaks, but it either seeps or consumes the ~quart every 1000mi.  I drive it very little, and it has been parked mostly inside a garage bay since 2004.  The garage floor is still pretty clean under there and I am glad because it was a new house.  I think whatever does leak ends up in the alternator though.  Although I was able to charge up my AC recently, replacing the seal is purposly being put off till I feel better. I figure adding a fresh quart or three between oil changes has its benefits.  I drive about 2000 miles a year except when I took the fl trip, I drove 3000 or 4000 miles that year.  I might try a bottle of snake oil next topping off.  I would never think of having the engine torn apart to fix my mild issue, as I believe an oil supplement will work.  The cam seal will have to wait for me though, but maybe the snake oil will help there a little.

switch to a thicker oil in summer. 15-40 diesel oil. That will slow the leak down

I feel for you, my last two Eldorados had this issue and it was kind of annoying.  It especially drove my wife nuts as she has a sensitive nose... the wisps of smoke coming from under the hood a the traffic light stops was bad at times!

I looked into trying to re-seal that case half seal (thats were mine was leaking) and theres no easy external way.  Just have to pull the motor and split the case. One thing I was contemplating back then was to make some sort of sheetmetal diverter flange, (maybe attach to block with JB weld or something) to direct the oil from dripping on that cross-pipe.  At least it wouldn't burn then...

My 03 SLS has some slight seepage, but thankfully seems to be coming from up top  I noticed the valve cover gaskets need replacing when I changed the plugs out last week.  2 sockets in the head actually had pools of oil around the plugs! I think that shouldn't be too hard to do, just no time to get at it yet.

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

what you describe is exactly how I feel.

I have contemplated more than once making a diverter but I cannot figure out a easy way to do that as it is so tight there.

And yes I you do see a little smoke at stops

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived