CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: poked hole, replace radiator, flush?

I've got a 1998 caddy deville n I poled a hole in my radiator by trying to wrench off my alternator n accidently poked q hole in my radiator.. I have replaced the radiator.  The fluid that drained out was green.. Do I have to do a flush on the cooling system

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

In general, if you don't know the last time the coolant was drained and refilled, I would simply
use a short maintenance cycle this time.  Hopefully you will see other opinions in the posted thread.

Bruce

The cooling system in your vehicle was originally filled with DEX-COOL engine coolant. This coolant is designed to remain in your vehicle for 5 years or 150,000 miles (240 000 km) whichever occurs first, if you add only DEX-COOL’ extended life coolant.

You mention that the coolant when drained was green.  The color of healthy engine coolant is green (for ethylene glycol) or orange (for Dexcool). You don't mention what it was refilled with.

When adding coolant, it is important that you use only DEX-COOL@ (silicate-free) coolant. If coolant other than DEX-COOL is added to the system, premature engine, heater core or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner -- at 30,000 miles (50 000 km) or 24 months, whichever occurs first. Damage caused by the use of coolant other than DEX-COOL’ is not covered by your new vehicle warranty.

Most of all of the fluid would have been replaced when the system was drained for the radiator replacement.  I would consider draining and replacing the fluid again with Dexcool now if it was not filled with Dexcool.  If it was refilled with Dexcool I would consider replacing again anyway as a preventative measure.  

If that is out of budget and it was refilled with Dexcool drive it and monitor.

Bruce

Either orange or green reduce the change interval to 30000 miles

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Hey sry to bother u again but I have three negative words that r coming from the battery.. One for the post.. One for the ground on the frame.. Where does the other negative go to cuz I thought it was a ground so when I turned the key to the electric on but not crank engine.. It threw a theft detection code n said car may not restart!!!  So please tell me I didn't just trigger the theft protection system

Wires where does the negative ground wire go on the alternator 

Not sure I completely understand -- I think you are saying that the cables going to the battery have been completely taken

apart or off the car and you are trying to put them back in?  Why were they completely disconnected?
can you post a picture of the engine compartment showing the cables in question?

Bruce

Sorry already fixed that problem but have a different question.  I'm trying to flush the coolant system and then refill the antifreeze.  Which I got the dex-cool like u suggested.  Where do I do all this from because there is no radiator cap on the radiator 

And also, the only flush they parts store had was blue devil radiator flush.. Is that okay 

This site is sort of a mix of Deville specific and general instructions.  Not my site, just see it addresses

the topics you are working on.

WIth a new radiator I don't think you need a chemical flush at all.

Bruce

In my opinion... Better off NOT using the flush kit...

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

This may not be pertinent here, but I thought I would post it here.  Never flush with water is what the guru used to say, you introduce minerals into the system.  Drain and refill using distilled water to dilute the coolant

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived