CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

R instead of N...

adallak

This is so embarrassing... I was driving my 1995 Fleetwood down a hill at around 40 MPH. Wanted to put it in N and instead put it in R... Almost instantly put it back in N, then in D. I realized the engine has stalled only when I lost power steering. Stopped the vehicle and tried to start it to no avail. In about 15 minutes tried again and after several attempts it finally started and drove as if nothing happened! THere is a little noise when I shift from R -N- D or D-N-R (brakes applied).

Do you think I can get away with this? I will NEVER touch the gear selector again while I am driving. Never.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

ouch. 

I dont recommend going out of gear while moving unless it is a emergency. All kinds of things can happen, especially if you are picking up speed and put it in neutral, 

Some of the newer vehicles have range inhibit that prevents engagement of any gear under the wrong conditions.

You could be driving down the road and put it in reverse and all it will do is neutral. until it feels it is safe to change gear.

when you were trying to restart it what was it doing? (cranking but not firing?)

Assuming line pressure changed and the torque applied to reverse I would say that is likely hard on the driveline because the driveshaft is spinning in one direction and then it is quickly torqued the opposite direction.

When you did it did you instantly feel a hard drop in speed?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Things happened so fast and unexpectedly that I did not realize at the moment what was going on. There were was no jerking, hard drop in speed, violent shaking or noise.  I made probably 100-200 yards before I have stopped. I only realized the engine was not running when I could not turn the steering wheel  easily. The gear selector is on the steering column and it is a bit hard to see what gear you are in behind the steering wheel. Yes, it was cranking but not firing up.   

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived