CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm getting ready to change my 84 Eldorado radiator. 4.1 v8. When I bought the used one in took them 45 mins to pull it from an 85 Eldorado. The guys asked if I was doing it and said good luck there's a hose that was stubborn. I'm new to working on cars and I do have a friend helping me. Anyone have any advice or tips to make this process as smooth as possible. Thanks

Yes, but I see you posted 4 hours ago. Have you started the swap yet?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Okay, didn't want to post a lengthy reply and find that you were done with the swap.

By far the easiest way is to split the fan shroud. It is a 2 piece shroud and unless it has been split before it is held together at the  mid-point by large staples. Pry these staples up enough with a flat blade screwdriver to get ahold of them with a good set of diagonal wire cutters and work them out or cut them off with the diagonal cutters. Once you have the staples removed, you can remove the 10mm bolts from the core support and lift out the top half of the fan shroud. With the top half removed, remove the 10mm (2) bolts holding the lower fan shroud to the core support and work it out by kind of rotating it counter-clockwise or  ( no need to loosen the belts, unless they need changing ) remove the 4 nuts holding the fan and fan clutch assembly to the water pump and remove the fan and clutch, then the lower section will come out very easily. More often than not one or more of the studs will come out of the water pump but its ok, remember the short threaded end goes toward the driver. The W-pump pulley will cock slightly so put a couple of small bolts in finger tight to keep it from being knocked off while you are working. 

With the upper and lower fan shroud removed and the top radiator support removed you have access to all the lines and hoses from the top - easy peasy - :)

Get 4 ( 2 each side ) J-nuts ( see picture ) and matching bolts with a nice flat washer for under the bolt head, each bolt should be about 3/4" to 1" in length or 4 heavy sheet metal screws about the same length. Make sure the two halves are together and drill the holes for the bolts and j-nut. I had a long drill bit I used for this - like the ones that the "cable guy" uses for drilling through walls - so if you don't have all the tools simply use the sheet metal screws instead but run them down snug don't over-tighten them and strip it out. It was only held together by staples, but they were big staples.

Reverse the removal procedure for installation BUT make sure you have ALL your radiator connections completed. When you get the lower fan shroud back in position, put the bolts in the bottom core support by hand but do NOT tighten them yet. Install the fan and fan clutch. Put the upper shroud in place and install and tighten all four bolts and J-Nuts at the original staple locations make sure you have the fan shroud upper and lower pieces together before installing the top shroud mount bolts. Tighten ALL the fan shroud bolts, and the top radiator hold down.

Jnut.jpeg

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Thank you this will help a ton. You're very kind to post a reply with great detail. You just made a huge difference. Now, I'm not saying your never going to hear from me and this post again ? but thank you so much.

Archived