CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: ride level system 85 Seville

Hello, my name is James, I am having a problem with level ride system on my 1985 cadillac seville I have replaced the sender and relay , the shocks seem to be ok and holding air, the compressor they told me is weak? not sure of that I took the car to the dealer, which i think is reliable for i know them, i think they don't know this car any longer and aim sad. the light doesn't come on anymore on the dash at start up

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Have you verified that the electronic level control fuse is good?  If the fuse is good, check the suspension height sensor to make sure it is still connected to the control arm and the frame.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hello.

I would start with checking all of the fuses.

If you have a owners manual the fuses should be labeled.

How long have you owned this car?

when you say sender what are you referring to?

Check the link arm(s) located at the ride height  sensor(s). See if any of them are disconnected.

It is possible that the compressor seized up. That is a pretty common failure if the vent hoses have rotted off.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thank you very much, I know now that i am at the end of this nerve racking horror, I will try to explain the whole story, i am not a mechanic but if told i can follow. I replaced the level ride hight sensor under the car, not me the service man at cadillac i gave the part, plus the relay under the dash they tell me that the shocks are good no leakes  and the compressor was good at the time i gave them the car now after they told me that they fixed the car but the compressor was weak i went and purchased another one just incase, you told  me to check the fuse for the lrc under the dash that i can do i know where they are i looked under the car and the level ride hight sensor is attached to the frame and is plugged in if i did not explain this correctly please correct me i would like this to work the car was not abused or changed in any way. everything works just fine even the wiper washer sensor tell you when it need water. i remember that the light did go on last year when i went up a incline driveway. JIM

hope these help. 

Shows the ports to check on the intake and exhaust side. 

they may be plugged solid.

the drier is the part where the air lines attach. fairly easy to remove if there is not rust involved

I have dealt with quite a few of these compressors. HAve been able to repair some, not others. It varies. Wont know til it gets disassembled.

If one hasn't worked in awhile and has water in it it is likely no good.

GM FAN FOREVER

James -- hit reply not report please

James writes:

default_photo.png  

thank you for the pictures i will check the compressor and the hoses, I have a new compressor from the same year that look almost brand new is it difficult to swap do i have to disconnect the battery it looks pretty simple please tell me how and what i should expect the one i have has been tested and should work and if it doesn't i could return it. thank you for you time and help i would very much like to see the green light show on the dashboard . just a quark!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Should go pretty decent.

Be careful with the bolts that hold the unit to its bracket. They can break.

also be careful with the plastic air lines. When you release the clip nudge the air lines back and forth a little to help free them.

Unhook the battery. 

Check the wiring to the plug going to the compressor. Sometimes they corrode near the plug.

But the fact you are not seeing the light on the dash makes me wonder how that light works.

that light was deleted in the early 90s so it doesnt exist anymore.. Wish it did though. 

With RSS you can have codes, but without RSS there is no real way to tell what is going on

GM FAN FOREVER

On 4/30/2017 at 4:52 PM, Bruce Nunnally said:

i am going to try all that you suggested and i will let you know what i find , we can do this i have no other chose ,there is no one here in my area that i trust if  cadillac can't fix it after giving them all the parts they ask for i will just have to do more research

Most Cadillac dealers won't be familiar with a 32 year old car and you will be paying the highest labor rate around for them to learn about your car.  If you can't do the work yourself, it is best to find an independent shop that is familiar with these cars as they will have a much lower overhead rate and a lower labor rate.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

not by much. At least around my area. 

highway robbery on some things...

I agree on finding a independent mechanic who is not going to just throw parts at it in hopes it fixes it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived