CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I wanna Soup up my low mileage caddy am i dumb orr....

SyNDaCuT

Hello everyone I Just recently purchased a 02 Cadillac Deville in Near perfect condition. It has 60k miles on it and was routinely serviced at a Cadillac dealership its whole life. 

I told you this because what im about to say might piss off caddy fans...... I am trying to figure out what would be cheaper a Bolt on Super charger for the good ol Northstar that i got in it now or pull the motor and tranny and put in a LS7 which i so happen to have a transmission for. With this being said i would like to keep the north star just because i think they are great engines. But how would this Engine respond to a nice 5-10k dollar Supercharger. What problems should i expect and does anyone even make a NICE supercharger for this motor. Also im not opposed to twin Turbos. I honestly just want to prey on CTSV Coupes and smackem down with the deville. :)

:welcomesmiley:  The normal hotrod question is, how much money to you have, and how fast do you want to go?

There is not an off the shelf supercharger system that I am aware of for the Northstar.  The STS-V's of course were 4.4L supercharged northstars, so that would be the place to start if you wanted to go that way.  Those were RWD cars however.  One member did a twin turbo northstar FWD car, and you could follow his path.  It was not inexpensive.

The LS7 does not have a FWD usage, so there will be a lot of work to put that into the Deville as well.  The CTS-V's are more or less compatible -- the 2004-2007 had the LS6 or LS2 engines for which the LS7 is basically a drop-in replacment.  The 1994-1996 Fleetwoods also had a LT1 which could be replaced with the LS7.

Another favorite donee would be a current model Escalade, which has the L92, L94 or  LT1 engine.  An LS7 would fit there as well.

The least expensive way to do what you have in mind would be to trade the 02 Deville for an 06-09 STS-V or 04-07 CTS-V then supercharge or upgrade the engine.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

48 minutes ago, Bruce Nunnally said:

:welcomesmiley:  The normal hotrod question is, how much money to you have, and how fast do you want to go?

There is not an off the shelf supercharger system that I am aware of for the Northstar.  The STS-V's of course were 4.4L supercharged northstars, so that would be the place to start if you wanted to go that way.  Those were RWD cars however.  One member did a twin turbo northstar FWD car, and you could follow his path.  It was not inexpensive.

The LS7 does not have a FWD usage, so there will be a lot of work to put that into the Deville as well.  The CTS-V's are more or less compatible -- the 2004-2007 had the LS6 or LS2 engines for which the LS7 is basically a drop-in replacment.  The 1994-1996 Fleetwoods also had a LT1 which could be replaced with the LS7.

Another favorite donee would be a current model Escalade, which has the L92, L94 or  LT1 engine.  An LS7 would fit there as well.

The least expensive way to do what you have in mind would be to trade the 02 Deville for an 06-09 STS-V or 04-07 CTS-V then supercharge or upgrade the engine.

With the twin turbo system in mind how much should the mod cost if i have 5k now to do it would i be able to get it done

@BodybyFisher & I had this conversation a while back.

The problem with a LOT of power on a transverse mounted drivetrain is "TORQUE STEER", the more power you apply in the pursuit of CTSV coupes the more torque steer you build into the handling aspect.

The N* was capable of sooo much more power. but the designers/engineers "detuned" it because of torque steer. In my experience, this is very apparent in the Allante, as I have experienced it first hand. 

I agree with Bruce;

51 minutes ago, Bruce Nunnally said:

The first generation CTS-V is based on the same rear-wheel-drive GM Sigma platform as is the base model CTS. The use of a V8 engine required a unique engine cradle distinct from the base CTS V6. Larger anti-roll bars and larger shocks were also added. The spring rate was significantly increased. The 2006-2007 update also included a stronger rear differential and half shaft design. Unique front and rear treatments also included mesh grilles over the front openings, a track-ready suspension, and 18×8.5 inch wheels inside of P245/45R18 Z-rated Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar run-flat tires. Brakes were 13.97 in (355 mm) rotors in the front, with 14.37 in (365 mm) rotors in the rear - each with four-piston Brembo calipers on the front and rear wheels. In addition, GM badges were added on 2006 models. For performance enthusiasts, a high performance suspension package (RPO FG2) was available as a dealer installed option.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

@OldCadTech  Hi John

No one has mentioned it yet but Northstar Performance has successfully modified the PCM in the 96 to 99 Northstars adding about 50 HP.   Based on my discussions with Jake from Northstar Performance he plans to do the same to the 00 - 04 PCM if I am not mistaken.  So you may want to contact Jake at Northstar Performance to see if he has made any progress on the 2000 and newer.

As OldCadTech noted, the increase in power does not come without the unwanted side affect of increased torque steer, but as you will see below, I have softened my concerns.   Some claim to never have experienced torque steer, but if you have, you certainly don't want to make it worse.   I first experienced it passing a truck with my 96 Deville, flooring it in the left lane to get by quickly, you are pulled left toward the guardrail.  If you are not prepared for it or hold the steering wheel loosely, well..... Ill leave that to your imagination.  

If you do some research, you will note that GM capped the NS engine output in the transverse or FWD configuration at 300 HP, with the exception of the 2002 Eldorado anniversary edition that I was told at the dealer was 325 HP but don't quote me because I can not confirm that anywhere and believe me I have tried.  But for the most part, they capped the NS output at 300 HP, when there was additional power on tap.

I am very happy that Jake was able to open up the PCM, there are things I would like to do like, turn on the cooling fans earlier, raise the transmission line pressure slightly and maybe add a little LOPE at idle.   But I was cautiously happy because of the potential side affect of increasing the torque steer. 

Bruce, mentioned that a member turbo charged his Northstar successfully, increasing the HP to about 600.  But he also added a limited slip differential (LSD) from Engineered Performance out of Georgia.   I had a long conversation with Jeff who did the work for Mark.   The LSD totally eliminates the torque steer.   Jeff calmed my concerns that adding 50 HP to the 96 to 99 would ramp up the torque steer by replying that he has driven NSs with 500 HP and the car was still drivable as long as you were aware that torque steer existed.   He stated that it was necessary to stiffen up the rear so that on acceleration the weight was not shifted off the front tires and the geometry doesn't change.

Here is Engineered Performance's web page

http://www.engineered.net/

Mark's last thread, where he speaks of rebuilding the 4T80E and LSD, it was done by Jeff at Engineered Performance.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 1 month later...

I have found the higher performance tire you have the less torque steer you will get.   I had Michelin Pilots on my 98 Concours for a while and had no torque steer at all.  When I bought the car it had some Goodyear white wall tires  and it was a little scary off the line.  

Archived