CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Just bought a 2002 Seville STS Jubillee. (Nice trippel black, 90.000 miles)

However got two codes:

C1232 on and off..... Speed sensor LF open or closed. What is the most common problem? Bad sensor, loose conector or......

C0584 allways. Solenoid RF. What, why and where?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new STS.  No pictures?

I would say most common cause on speed sensor LF is unplugged connector after service.  

A long discussion on C0584 here: 

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thnx Bruce! I guess I´m in over my head now......:( 

About the C1232: It turns on warning lights for ABS and TRACTION. If I clear the code or restart engine it seems to stay away for the rest of the trip.

Pics? Yes, I´ve got some but they are far to big. I´ll be back.

Hi,       :welcomesmiley:

The C0584 is a Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) module code. The module has seen an incorrect resistance value from the right front strut assembly.

There are a couple of RPO codes, RPO F55 & RPO F45 depending on build date, but the easiest way to verify what your STS has is on the RPO label on the underside of the spare tire cover in the trunk. The problem can be a defective strut or it could also be a defective module. There are ways to trick the module into "thinking" the strut is fine, but the fix depends on the RPO code.

BTW I have the twin to your 02 STS, only difference is mine does not have the sunroof, and I still have the factory wheels. :)

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

A note about the RPO F45 and RPO F55;

The F45 is a CVRSS system, The CVRSS module evaluates inputs and controls a solenoid in each shock or strut to provide suspension damping control.

The F55 is a MagneRide adaptive suspension with Magnetorheological damper system that uses magnetically controlled dampers, or shock absorbers, for a highly adaptive ride.

(2002–03): Debut application for MagneRide, replacing CVRSS.

As you can see they are like apples and oranges. :paint2:

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Label says F55 (top row, to the very right) so I guess its MagneRide? Looked for replacement damper on net but only found for the rear.

How can I determin what is wrong? Guess the code 0584 has a different message for MR? The ride never feels soft but I guess thats by default as long as the code remain?

I have the original alloys but they are beyond salvation. Looking for replacements.

Yes, it is MagneRide. Do you have a Digital Volt Ohm Meter ( DVOM )? 

it is "basically" the same code but different functioning components to check. A strut is still a strut but it is controlled by different components.

You will need to do some resistance checks ( Ohms ) at the front strut, if it is a strut there are some resistors you can install to fool the module, if you want to keep the message off. The replacement struts are $500-$1000 US. I'm not sure how that translates in Swedens currency.

It's strange, but my 98 wheels are in better condition at 130k miles than the 02 at 43K... :huh:

Here is a website ( CarJunky ) that has OEM style struts. https://www.carjunky.com/products/Shock Absorber-Cadillac-seville?base-attributes[year_description]=2002&base-attributes[make_description]=Cadillac&base-attributes[part_name_description]=Shock+Absorber&base-attributes[model_description]=Seville 

BUT FIRST.....

Disconnect the strut connector, measure the resistance at the strut side of the connector. The acceptable value range is .5 to 2.0 ohms, if outside of that range replace the strut. If it is within that range, then check the wiring for damage, and/or replace the module.

The connector is at the bottom of the strut, follow the wire harness from the strut, the connectors are usually clipped to the body.

Ooops, the link only lists F45 option parts. :(

I'll have to look for the connector on my car to be sure I'm not mixing apples and oranges. :blush:

LOL, I wasn't paying attention to the fine print,:wacko:  didn't even see that at first. I noticed it after I opened the drop down menu. I was doing it at work during a lull in the storm.

When I changed the search to 2004 I got a discontinued part number, so not sure anyone carries the MagneRide. You may have to go to a recycler, or convert to passive suspension. If you have a Cadillac dealer in country give them a call.

No need for DVOM. Now I know.....:( The connector at the bottom is....... gone! Don´t think it is possible to fix that? Still looking for a complete MagnaRide "strut" for the right side. New or used! Anyone??????????????

Archived