CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

parking brake release

rockfangd

Hi all.

I probably posted something for this before but my 97 Deville parking brake only releases when it wants to.

When it works it works great.

When it doesn't work it doesn't work at all.

I am thinking it is not the servo because it works perfectly fine when it does work.

I am so confused. Today I set the brake on a hill, shut the car off. When I went to take off I put the car in gear and it  did not even attempt to release, Lucky for  me I am already familiar with the small release handle that exists behind the dash. Where would I even start on this one? If I want it to act up it wont. 

Guess I am lucky that the brake works

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The diagnosis for the P-brake release requires a scan tool to command the release solenoid on/off. Can your scan tool do that?

The FSM checks for power/amperage through the fuse, the relay, the solenoid and the RIM. There are also visual checks for corrosion at the fuse and relay.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

12 hours ago, rockfangd said:

I am thinking it is not the servo because it works perfectly fine when it does work.

Is it a vacuum servo or a solenoid?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

I am talking about the plunger at the pedal itself. 

I am thinking if that was bad it would not intermittently work.

Other than that and the vacuum line I honestly know nothing about how the system works.

Today every time I tried it it worked fine. grr

Can someone tell me where the relay, and or solenoid are located. 

Thanks

GM FAN FOREVER

If you have a vacuum actuated release you can disregard my last post. In that post i was thinking the 97 Deville had the electric release setup like the 98.

The most common problem in the vacuum system release is the shift selector vacuum switch which was usually located on the steering column. Follow the hose that is attached to the vacuum servo at the p-brake assembly, it should go to a vacuum switch mounted on the column or wherever. The ports in the switches don't always align properly preventing the vacuum servo from getting vacuum.

I haven't had a 97 column down but the components should be the same. They may have even used the ignition switch on the column to supply power to a vacuum switch when the vehicle is shifted out of park, but there has to be some kind of a vacuum switch at the other end of that hose.

Hmm interesting. Below is a picture of the 96- (left) 97 (right) I found this out because the plunger went bad on my 96 Deville and I bought the one on the right to replace it. It didnt work because they were pretty different. I will have to look behind the dash to see what my Seville has.

Also I bought a donor column out of a 98 concours last year and saw nothing on it regarding vacuum. It was console shift. When you say 98, are you referring to Deville or Seville? I ask this because the 98 Seville was drastically different than the eldo and Deville. I dont even know what that uses

thanks for posting

th_100_2623-1.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

I was referring to my 98 Seville, it is an electrically operated solenoid, relay and fuse controlled by the RIM.

So, where did the vacuum hose go to?

I am not sure. 

I think it goes all the way over to the passenger side and shares with the HVAC.

I forget what is vacuum controlled in the HVAC on mine.

Anything on the 98 seville interior wise I dont know what is the same. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived