CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 STS V8 Oil Filter Adapter Leak

The wife noticed the leak a while back. Had it sitting for a while but now need it back on the road as my escalade was just in an accident. Trying to replace the oil filter adapter gasket but hitting too many road blocks. Any advice? Thanks 

:welcomesmiley:

Please explain 

18 hours ago, og92 said:

Trying to replace the oil filter adapter gasket but hitting too many road blocks

Are you trying to access it from above? Is something in the way?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

25 minutes ago, OldCadTech said:

:welcomesmiley:

Please explain 

Are you trying to access it from above? Is something in the way?

thanks for replying. I have mainly been trying to access it from the driver side wheel well. Would seem that in order to access from above I would need to remove the power steering pump/resevior (trying to avoid having to do that tho).

Could be wrong but I think it is accessed from below. Although the wheel well access sounds good. Do you have the wheel tub removed?

What are the "road blocks" you are experiencing?

Are you positive the adapter seals are leaking and not the pressure switch?

1) Remove the left engine mount bracket

2) Disconnect the engine oil cooler lines from the adapter, if equipped.

3) Disconnect the electrical connector from the engine oil pressure switch. Remove the oil filter.

05STS.png

Someone may have a more detailed step by step or more experience with the rear wheel drive STS.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Have not removed the wheel hub. I'm sure its leaking from where the oil filter housing meets the engine block. I may replace the switch while I'm at it sense I hear it's a common failure. The road block I'm hitting is an ac line being in the way of the last bolt of the oil filter adapter housing. I can't move the line because the part of it in the way is metal and attached directly to the air compressor. 

The wheel tubs are kind of a PITA to take out.

When I was at the dealership we NEVER bent anything but we did have a saying, "calibrate for clearance & adjust for accessibility". Depending upon how much the A/C line is blocking the bolt, they can usually be "calibrated". If the line is blocking TOO much to be calibrated, it might be easier to have the refrigerant removed, disconnect the line from the A/C compressor, repair the oil filter adapter leak, then have the A/C recharged when you're all done and have verified that the leak is fixed. The engine will run and the A/C compressor will not be harmed. The electronics will keep the compressor safe.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:53 AM, OldCadTech said:

The wheel tubs are kind of a PITA to take out.

When I was at the dealership we NEVER bent anything but we did have a saying, "calibrate for clearance & adjust for accessibility". Depending upon how much the A/C line is blocking the bolt, they can usually be "calibrated". If the line is blocking TOO much to be calibrated, it might be easier to have the refrigerant removed, disconnect the line from the A/C compressor, repair the oil filter adapter leak, then have the A/C recharged when you're all done and have verified that the leak is fixed. The engine will run and the A/C compressor will not be harmed. The electronics will keep the compressor safe.

I determined it would be easiest to just remove the ac line. Successfully replaced affected gasket now all is well. Thanks for all the advice.

Archived