CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

stalled ABS pump

rockfangd

Hi all.

A few years back I bought a 2001 Eldorado and the ABS pump was stalled/stuck. I ended up having to replace the pump because I could not get it to work.

Well my 97 Seville ABS and Traction lights on. and thee ABS1243 code. for stalled pump. If you clear the codes it sounds like it wants to try to engage but is probably stuck from sitting.

Before I go and get another pump I was curious if anyone has had any luck freeing up a stalled pump.

Also my oil pressure light was flickering at idle, My heart  sank until I pulled the oil filter adapter and found oil in the sensor plug. I ordered the bypass valve too but it must be the wrong one because it was too large. So I just replaced the o-rings, sender, and oil. Problem solved thankfully

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

For the oil flicker, if the sensor does not fix it, you can try a bottle of motor honey.  Both fixed my flicker that I was plagued with for over 5 years.  Once solved, it never came back, and that was about 3 years of having a flicker free car.

i wonder if a brake fluid drain and fill from each caliper would help free up the pump?

Run 15W 40 diesel oil in the Summer. It will take care of the flicker. 

On the Abs PUMP it will involve 2 people. Have someone sitting in the drivers seat. Another person will be in the engine bay. Get a long metal rod and a hammer and slightly tap the abs pump motor while someone cycles the key on and off. Make sure the ground is connected and clean in the rear of the pump. 

I was running Mobil1, but when I did the oil change today I switched to Rotella T. 10w30

There was oil in the plug for the oil sender so I am very confident that was the problem.

I have never seen the oil light before. I ran it hot after the oil change and no light came on. 

I went for the sender because I have changed many for the same problem. (oil in the plug is always internal failure) made me very happy to see that.

I am going to do the same thing to my Deville.

As for the ABS I will try engaging the pump with my scantool as I gently tap on the motor. I hope it works again.

I just dont know what the chances are it will work. I Never actuate the pump on a normal basis.

If you drive like a normal person it is just idle. Sometimes I will chirp the tires just enough to engage the traction control but it is likely not enough 

GM FAN FOREVER

I always half a dozen times a year use the abs pump especially in my older cars. Lay on the brakes in rain or on a icy stretch to work the ABS pump a bit.

So today was the first day I drove the car and the lights were on.

I popped off the air box and gave the pump a few love taps while simultaneously clearing the codes with my scantool. After the second time the pump worked fine. I did this about 10 times just to be sure.

I then restarted the car and verified no codes present. 

Now  for some reason my scantool does not like the brake units in this era Cadillac. I had the same problem with my 01 eldo. Whatever special test you try to do it always comes up with a error and backs out. the error is BPMV off. (brake pressure modulation valve) makes no sense to me.

I would like to actually run the pump for about 10 seconds or so. but the only cycle  I can get is from clearing the codes.

Like always this car amazes me every year I pull it out. It is still nice and firm riding, It just feels (and looks) like a new car.

For it being a 20 year old car in NY none the less It is beautiful.

I might add the oil lamp did not return after the sender replacement.

GM FAN FOREVER

Doesn't the ABS pump activate just as you shift out of park - a whirring sound that lasts a second or two?  Part of the self-test of the system - it doesn't apply the brakes but it is definitely the pump running.  My Fleetwood Brougham does that (and has since it was new) but I can't recall if either of my Devilles do it.  I'll know tomorrow morning when I leave for work.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mine all seem to do it as soon as the car is running.

But KOEO will not cycle it.

Basically KOEO no problem, if once running a problem is seen it triggers the lights

GM FAN FOREVER

I did not hear the ABS pump running on my '05 Deville this morning when I left for work.  Apparently, the later generation cars don't cycle the pump when moving at low speeds after startup so it looks like you need to do the barczy01 slam the brakes in the rain - although I think you could even do it on dry pavement and the ABS system would be activated.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 month later...

just to update this

Although I have not been able to engage abs or traction control it has been working fine with no lights or codes.

Tires are pretty new with about 1500 miles on them, probably why I cant lose traction. Takes off like a rocket though.

Oil light never came back after changing the sender.

Happy travels

GM FAN FOREVER

might as well be.

Dirt roads would probably be better than our roads.

wouldn't want to scratch the paint lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived