CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New shoes for my 97 D'elegance

rockfangd

So I am still haunted by the vibration in my Deville.

Today was a lucky day for me. I found a beautiful set of wheels for it. I would loved to have found a  concours set but I found a set from a Eldorado Touring coupe.

I know they are not Deville wheels but I really like them. If it was my Seville I would not consider it as that one is all original.

I got 4 rims with center caps, 3 good tires, 1 bad. From my local yard. The car was pretty mint other than the fact that the hood was crunched.

I took them to my trusted local tire shop, had them install 2 new tires, clean all of the beads, road force balance. And valves.

All went good. I made sure they put no weights on the outside, they said the wheels were straight and true and took minimal weights.

The chrome is in beautiful shape with no scrapes or scuffs. That is incredibly rare to find a complete set like that. Especially the right front.

I am so excited I cant wait to install them. I pray it resolves my vibration issue.

I am going to be replacing the front complete struts soon anyway. I will post my results

20170412_202951_1492046451274.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Good news and bad news.

First thing that is most noticeable is the weight. I can pick up one of the wheels with 2 fingers easily. Cannot believe how much lighter they are.

I mounted the fronts tonight with the new tires. Love the looks of them.

Bad news is vibration is still there. Just not as bad. Not bad enough to make my rearview shake.

I swear I feel it most under my feet.

Now my 96 Deville I chased down similar issue and found the strut rods to be the cause.

I am wondering if the vertical control arm bushings on the 97 year would have the same effect. I looked at them and dont  see anything horrible like I usually see on most vehicles with them.

I dont think Cadillac makes a bushing for replacement on control arm. Only whole arm replacement. I dont really want cheap control arms.

I know I am for sure not the only one with this issue but I haven't really seen a real solution to it. My nissans with alot of miles on them dont shake like that. 

I will post some pics tomorrow once the car and wheels are washed

GM FAN FOREVER

1 minute ago, winterset said:

Sorry the new wheels did not fix the vibration.  Based on the title, I thought you were doing a brake job -  and putting shoes on the rear calipers :)  I would have liked to see the photos.

Lol. I thought about that. I was tired when I posted it. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Pictures.

They cleaned up great. Just a few brake dust spots left. What a beautiful set of wheels. 

Even the stain from the outside weights  cleaned right off. 

Although they are not Deville wheels I have kept the originals in case I want to reinstall them.

They would probably look even better on my Seville

Even though this car still needs some help it has come a long way since I purchased it.

It was very poorly maintained, or not maintained by previous owner(s). I have a bit invested into the passion lol

20170414_190643_1492224375296.jpg

20170414_190659_1492224374874.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

What were the final numbers on the road force balance? Did they have to re-orient any tires on the rims to reduce the road force? What standard minimum road force did they use as a guide? If like most, and they used 15 pounds, it is likely that you will continue to feel that. Oh, and this vibration IS most noticeable from 68 to 72 mph, right?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Typically they write the numbers on the tires but they did not this time.

I asked about that and they said they had no issues.

Vibration usually starts around 30mph+ can also be felt on decel.

So many possibilities come to mind from a cv axle, control arm bushings, etc... it is hard to pinpoint what the actual cause is.

Anything could have happened with the axles when I had the engine replaced. I didnt drive the car far enough when I bought it to remember if it had it before. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Vibration usually starts around 30mph+ can also be felt on decel.

Well, you can rule out road force balance, wheel balance, tires, or rotors. 30 mph vibrations are from seriously out of round tires or bent wheels, both of which you've already ruled out...twice, or from other mechanical issues. I'd be looking at CV joints, bad bearings, or other suspension parts at this point. Even loose tire belts, normally not visible at standstill, don't begin to cause vibration until about 60 mph.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived