CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1992 4.9L coolant leak. posting from a PM I got

rockfangd

Hey I'm not 100 percent sure,  yet but might have inlet gasket leak . Water pump was done last year, not ruling out the possibility.  Leak is dripping down control arm through the insulator rod.  Lower radiator hose when squeezed it appears to push out more coolant.  I am replacing what seems to be original hose dry rotted.  Looking in the FSM book in water pump section where the breakdown of waterpump assembly the water pump bold orientation  "D" in the service manual on the lower side seems to be the location where the leak is coming from on the front area.  Hoping it is just lower radiator hose.  Cross over hose is fine uable to see any other leaks coming from but on the front lower side.  I could use some input knowing that you have had the same year Caddy with 4.9 1992.  Thank you again for your help as always.  Do you think it could be the inlet gasket or the "D" orientation covered by the pump pulley.  It is so hard to spot.  The lower hose definitly bad.  What are your thoughts.  David

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I posted this in the General forum as it has been awhile since I dealt with the 4.9l.

All of mine have the 4.6l northstar.

I suggest you replace the radiator hoses (both) as you mention dry rot.

Also check the radiator itself as it may have a seam leak and be choosing that route to flow.

Best of luck to you David

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

frtcvramppmp_zpsr2xkupz2.gif

The water pump inlet #5 would be my first suspect. The inlets rust/corrode from the inside. The water pump also leaks onto the same areas mentioned above by the PM.

1009166M08-008_zpspkkmtrvt.jpeg

The heater hose piping, also #5 in the above pic, is a common source of a coolant leak as well.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Worked on alot of 4.9's at dealer. The coolant pipes as you know are long gone. I have seen small pinholes in the waterpump inlet housings and the actual gasket that leaks between the timing cover and the outlet housing. When I did waterpumps on the 4.9 I took the lower radiator hose off the inlet pipe, removed the front 2 motor mount bolts and rear 2 trans mount bolts. I put a jackstand underneath the oil pan with a block of wood. I gently let the car down on the jackstand contacting the oilpan thus jacking the engine up on that side. Makes the job cake. 

I was able to sneak the inlet housing off without removing the timing cover. It's tricky but it was done. removing the timing cover on those motors isn't bad. I have seen someone selling a lot of 4.9 timing covers brand new on ebay and I'm sure they are going quick. 

Archived