CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac deville 99 Starter Inadvert Relay

Recently I came across a tin of corrosion on my Inadvert Starter relay on my 99 deville. As with the age I assumed this would happen at some point. 1 wire has completely rotted out of the plug wire (where the relay is plugged into). We cleaned out the plugs insides, removed all the corrosion,  and stripped the wire to prepare it for re-attachment. We plugged the wire in and it started before I soldered it. I solder the wire by dropping solder into the hole of where the wire is ment to be. For the most part it worked out. It started about 3 or 4 times. After that I have to open the hood and mess with the wire and it would sometimes start. But today it didn't start. I checked the OBD-2 codes and there were no error codes. 

Im just looking for thoughts and suggestions. Where can I find a replacement female replacement terminal for the inadvert relay? 

This is my first time on the forums so please move my post to the correct area if i didnt post where I should have. 

I can post pictures if necessary. 

Are you referring to a relay in the under hood fuse/relay center?  If so, I think you're going to have to go to a junkyard and find one that is not corroded and get the terminal with a length of the wire attached and splice it in to your existing wire.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

6 hours ago, KHE said:

I think you're going to have to go to a junkyard and find one that is not corroded and get the terminal with a length of the wire attached and splice it in to your existing wire.

@KHE suggested the best method especially if you have more corroded wiring than just the one wire. If the other wires are okay, you can solder a same gauge wire to the relay, then pass the wire through the connector and solder it below the connector. Be sure to remove enough of the old wire so you have no corrosion when you make the repair. 

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived