CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Remote starter fob

winterset

I can purchase a pair of new oem fobs with the remote start option for as little as $60 on eBay.  The remote start kit which is 2 fobs with the remote start button in a box along with what I understand is a code costs $225 on eBay.  My question is what exactly is on that piece of paper that makes the fobs so expensive? Is it the same code for all cars, or is it a paper unique to the fobs in the box?  I bought my ats new, and at the time of sale the remote start option was verbally $175 which I agreed to, but when I went back a month later, the salesman who I bought the car from had left, and the price ballooned to $450

i am thinking of buying a single fob on eBay for $30, and programming the car to accept the fob, and see if the remote option was already programmed into my car.  Maybe that's why it was supposed to be so cheap at the time of purchase - that is it was already programmed for the option. I understand that the car is delivered with the option turned off, but maybe the dealer already programmed it.  My car was shipped from another out of state dealer because of the unique color, and options on the ats4 2.0t

All remote codes are not the same programming would need to be done matching your car, I've purchased on fobs for my 92 program myself by grounding single black wire located in trunk pull down area. I'm sure someone from this site would have knowledge for your caddy or even eBay seller google better yet factory repair manual for your car aka FSM  replacement remotes will have to be program each car code is different hope this helps you some.

I don't recall remote start being an option in 1996 at all. After-market, yes, but not factory.

I think 1999 was the earliest.

Where did the information come from that stated they came from the factory with the option turned off?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Oops.  Yes, I do not have my 2014 ATS4 2.0T in my profile.  it is my daughters car.  I was looking at getting the remote start for her.  I was supposed to get the option for $175 but since I picked up the car Christmas Eve, no one was there to set it up.  When I went back a few weeks later to finally have the car prepped, the price changed to $450. I purchased the car new, and I suspect the programming was already done for the option, but I just need the fob with the remote start button.

the procedure to program a new fob is very easy, and the car allows up to 4 key fobs per vehicle.  I think I am going to purchase a new oem fob for ~$40, and try it out.  If it doesn't work  I have an extra one.  And if I do get the remote start option kit for $206, I will have 5 fobs total.  I never had so many for one car.

Aww, Okay, now I'm with you. 

Sounds like you are on the right path. IIRC you have to have the Tech2 to "teach" the modules to talk to each other though.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

• 3 months later...

I purchased a new fob with the remote start button for $23 on eBay.  Unlike the ones that came with the new car, this one is painted black aluminum, and not plastic.  I followed the procedure of turning the emergency door key 5 times to bring up the key programming menu to add fob 3.  Although the fob now works to open doors, and start the car, the remote start button does not function.  At least I have a replacement fob.

• 1 month later...

wish  I had seen this before but when you try to actuate the remote start does the IPC tell you that it has been disabled?

IIRC you have to push lock, then remote start

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived