CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm thinking about getting a 2006-2008 STS in the near future. As much as I'd like the 4.6, V8, the 3.6 V6 are much closer to my budget. It seems from a lot of searches I've done, there is no love for the 3.6 due to the timing chain issues.

Is the 3.6 as bad as everyone makes it out to be?

I've had three 3.6's, and while there have been reports of timing chains and increased oil usage, I haven't seen this with any of mine.  Also, my daughter has a Saturn Vue with the 3.6 and has over 125,000 miles with no stretch or oil issues.  My current LGX 3.6 (in an XT5) is too new to comment on; this iteration is probably not going to have the timing chain issues.  My first 3.6 was in an '06 STS (LY7 engine) and mine never burned oil or exhibited cam chain problems.  I traded in the '06 on an '11 STS (LLT engine) and again no issues (I lost my '11 to an accident; rear ended while stopped, so my time was cut short on that engine).  The LLT engine (3.6 direct injection), I believe had addressed a stronger cam chain, so if you can get an '08 or later, in addition to more h/p 302 versus 255, the cam chain should be more stout as well.  While not definitive, check for any engine codes (prior to buying), cam sensor errors would be an alarm of possible chain problems.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Archived