CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Cadillac Seville sts window problems

Ok so awhile back someone posted about there 98 windows not working I see it and tryed everything yall said ...didn't work I replaced master control switch had the relays checked new fuses the whole speal ...but 2 no avail none of my windows work and neither does the sun roof . so I really need some help no windows is a very unattractive feature lol. btw I have a 97 Seville 

The styling debate or question is whether the Chinese market will drive Cadillac too conservative.  Escala is seen as more dramaticly styled.  I would like to see Cadillac styling that is dramatic but follows function -- in other words, what makes the lightest, highest performance, best high speed handling, etc.

Sorry, Moved this to the right thread

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

@Bruce Nunnally That's a little  :offtopic:  :) LOL  

:welcomesmiley:

Can you start from the beginning for me plz?

Have you added any electronic devices to the vehicle? Did they ALL quit at the same time? Did you smell any thing burning? Do any of the windows work from the respective door switch? Does it have memory seats? Do the memory seats work? Does it have electric tilt? Does the electric tilt work? Memory mirrors? Is the lock-out switch activated? Do the seats operate correctly? As crazy as it may sound - are there any diagnostic trouble codes?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Nothing new added me seats work but neither go back and forth car came with Windows not working (just got it) elect tilt works for both seats mirrors idk none of the other windows /sunroof work nothing smells or looks burnt none of the respective windows switches work toggled the window lock switch then tryed all switchs nothing the stock radio was pulled b4 I bought the car so it's not there dash read out tells me 2 survive elect system but I'm pretty sure that's from my rear O2 censor not being connected 

If the master switch is bad, none of the windows will work.  The amber lights on the switches just means there is power to the switch assembly.  You need to remove the door panels and see if there is power to the window motors.  If no power to the window motors, it is most likely the master switch assembly.  You can unplug each window motor and use a 14.4 v battery from a drill to test the motors.  If they work with the drill battery, then the master switch is bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The dude I bought the car from said the master control switch was bad so I bought a new one replaced it and the windows still don't work that as the first thing I did lol so then I had the relays/fuses checked . all good so now I'm thinkin it has 2 b some random obscure thing that only the pros know lol

I'm trying to find out if the vehicle has the memory seat function and if the vehicle has power tilt and telescopic steering wheel. If the seat fore and aft does not work the MSM could have a short to ground or an open circuit. If you look at the drivers door do you have a switch/buttons for memory 1 & 2. Post a picture of your production label and I can figure it out from that if you're not sure. The production label is in the trunk on the bottom side of the spare tire cover.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

On 2/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, MaroCadiOwner said:

dash read out tells me 2 survive elect system

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you elaborate a little more.

Thanks, didn't realize that. :unsure:

Trying to ascertain if it has memory functions as the mem switch or the MSM can affect power to W/switch. The no seat fore and aft problem also indicates a MSM malfunction.

I think the mem switch was built into the W/switch in 97 also. I was thinking it was separate, can't remember now. He may have already replaced the mem switch when he replaced the W/switch.

Service electrical system  * and yea it gots the mem. seat buttons (that I hate btw ppl hit  them then I gotta redo my whole setup agin lol) and they are right under the window switchs (same column /bracket watever u call it ) I'll post a pic of the prod.# when it's daylight and can get 2 it .  and wat does MSM mean?

Thanks @rockfangd 

MSM is - Memory Seat Module - it controls the memory functions of the seat positions, and controls power and ground circuits.

What kind of test equipment do you have? Do you have a 12v test light? Do you have a DVOM - Digital - Volt - Ohm - Meter?

I have the 98 Seville service manual, but there are some differences in the circuitry, we can deal with them as they come up. Most often GM uses the same basic setup but they move components. The diagnosis is different for the vehicles with the memory functions so that is why it is important to know what options you have.

Do you know how to pull the DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes by using the switches on the instrument panel? The service electrical system message can be an important clue in helping us diagnose the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

First off who checked the fuses?

Did they check all of the fuses including the ones in the trunk?

Is the moonroof a factory Astroroof or a add on webasto unit? I ask this because they had 2 different circuits. Send a picture of the switch on your roof console and  I will tell you which one it has.

I would say you either have a blown fuse or a corroded supply wire.

once I know what moonroof you have I will post a diagram for you to see what circuit powers those options and where to look. I have 2 97 Cadillacs.

One Deville and one Seville

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The window circuits are protected by circuit breakers. Be sure you have tested and/or checked all the fuses, maxi fuse, relays and circuit breakers AGAIN before doing the following test.

I think the problem is probably the wiring harness pass-thru in the drivers door. With the ignition on ( engine can be running or not ) open the drivers door and grab the wiring harness from the body to the door, ( it will be close to the bottom of the door ) and move it while holding one of the window switches in the down position. Move the harness as much as you can, they are very difficult to move and require quite a "bit" of force to move enough to manipulate the wiring inside. If the window starts to move while you're moving the harness, let go of the switch and do the same thing with the switch in the up position to return the glass to the up position. If your problem is unchanged and none of the windows react in any way, remove the hush panel from the drivers foot-well and the side panel near the P-brake lever then grab the wire-loom as close to the door as you can get and repeat the push - pull - tug while someone holds the switch down for you.

You can do this test with a test light but it sounds like your test equipment is very limited, this test does not require any tools.

Archived