CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

sts-v or cts-v

6669charger

Hitting 50 next month so its off on a mid life crisis I go.

Already did the corvette thing years ago. looking to spend around 25000. Anyone have an opinion on a sts-v or cts-v?

I heard the sts has a northstar while the cts has a ls. Is the headgaskets still an issue on the northstar? Looking for a nice cruising car that will hold its own at a stop light.

Any problems common to these cars I should look for when shopping around?

Thanks

All the STS-V engines were made by hand and they seem to be holding up well.  That said, nothing easier to get support for than an LSx engine.

The two models are similar weight and suspension.  The STS-V's in general have better electronic gadgets than the CTS-V until 2016.

• 2004/2005 CTS-V with LS6 400 hp
  • 2006/2007 CTS-V with LS2  400 hp
  • 2006-2011 STS-V with LC4 469 hp S/C V8
  • 2008 no CTS-V
  • 2009-2015 CTS-V with LSA 556 hp
  • 2016+ CTS-V with LT4 640 hp

A very nice 2007 might fit in your budget.  A high mile 2009 would also.  Of course if you find the right car from a motivated seller...

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?zc=75023&rd=99999&prMn=0&prMx=25000&mdId=20787&trId=25621&mkId=20052&stkTypId=28881&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=DESC&sf2Nm=miles&sf2Dir=ASC&page=1&perPage=50&sortFeatures=buryUsedLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryNewLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryLowPriceOlderThanSix&sortFeatures=buryNoPrice&sortFeatures=buryUsedLowMileage&searchSource=SORT

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Any STS-V or CTS-V will fill the bill for you.  Here are some general points:

• AFAIK, the head gasket is not an issue for the 4.4 liter supercharged LC3 engine.  Rating is 465 hp.
  • There are three iterations of the CTS-V
    • First generation, 2002-2007 model years, six-speed manual transmission only, 400 hp, 5.7 or 6.0 liter V8
    • Second generation, 2008-2015 model years, 6-speed manual or automatic, coupe and wagon (some years), supercharged 6.2 liter 556 hp
    • Third generation, 2016-current model years, 8-speed automatic, supercharged 6.2 liter, 640 hp
  • The STS-V will give you a better ride on bad roads.
  • The CTS-V will give you a great ride on the interstates and good roads and superior handling, particularly the 2nd and 3rd generation.
  • All four are very reliable cars, if you keep then near stock and don't beat on them.

Your price range of about $25K pretty much eliminates the 3rd generation CTS-V.  For the same amount of money, you can get a lower mileage STS-V than a similarly equipped CTS-V.

Some interesting items, such as the heads-up display for night driving, are standard on the STS-V but aren't available on the CTS-V.

If you drive a 2nd generation CTS-V, you will not likely ever run into a faster car by chance on the street in normal driving, except possibly to performance car events of some kind.

For "a nice cruising car that will hold its own at a stop light" I would look at the STS-V first, then the second generation CTS-V.  Your final choice will be more likely dictated by what's available than your first choice, because both cars are not very often seen on the used car market.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 months later...

Are you sure that one was tuned well, was running well?    But yes the supercharged CTS-Vs have the hp edge.

Bruce

1 minute ago, 6669charger said:

I've found most of the time a good running stock car is better than buying someone else's experiment that you know nothing about.

I agree; many people don't actually test before/after so you never know if they worked hard to slow the car down.

Bruce

I bet this is one of the few forums in the world where I can saw, "Oh, Yeah, I have one in the garage you can have".

But if it has an aftermarket intake the original engine cover won't fit.

Bruce

Picked up sts-v. Nice car. Now I'm searching all the forums to try to see if there are any pics of my car posted by previous owners to get info on the mods it has.

Was raining when I picked it up. My 94 sts smoked it at stoplight. Guess my boy can't drive rwd with tc.

Tried to post pics but guess they are to big.

I suggest that you put an OBD code reader on it and solve the problems, and then see how the car is with no codes.  That should get the car going well with a minimum of time and money.  Problems that are actually caused by mods will be found and fixed that way.  You can find the Easter eggs as you maintain the car over the years.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The simplest way is to send him a PM on that web site.

Archived