CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2007 DTS - Ride height control

Chris

Hello,

On the weekend, I was brushing snow off my DTS and heard a pump running. I originally thought it was the fuel pump but it ran much longer than the fuel pump normally runs. Later, I noticed that the back of the car was jacked way up in the air.

Upon closer inspection, I found that the arm connected to the LCA was disconnected from the ride control sensor. See photos below. I set it back in place, and after moving the car, the ride height is back to normal. I'd like to re-attach the arm to the sensor, but I can't figure out how the sensor works. There doesn't seem to be any moving parts on the sensor - the shaft doesn't rotate and I can't see any other way for it to read data (magnet?).

I've attached a few photos taken from the driver's side rear wheel well, behind the front of the tire:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

How can I attach this such that it will operate properly and not just fall off again?

Thanks for your help!!

-Chris

hmm. Looks like you my need a new ride height sensor.

A good bump may have knocked it off. I dont recall how those are secured

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

It must be a common problem as there are aftermarket ones from Dorman.

Lots of pics on Google Images....search '2007 DTS ride height sensor'

Here is one pic....not sure if its the correct one..

dtsride.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies!

The sensor works fine, but needs to be secured to the shaft. I noticed there is an indent for a small snap ring, so I've ordered a pack of various sizes.

For now - and for the past month - I've had a zip tie preventing the arm from falling off the shaft. Worst case scenario, it comes off and air suspension inflates all the way (this makes the car really squirrely on offramps, but is very noticeable when checking mirrors).

I'll post back the proper snap ring size when I change over to summer tires and have a chance to fix this. :)

-Chris

so is the shaft splined? what holds the arm from rotating on the shaft. Some have a flat on one side that keeps it from rotating

GM FAN FOREVER

The strange thing is, the above pictured sensor doesn't look anything like the replacement ride height sensors for a 2007 Deville.

It does however look a LOT like a 2009 - 2011 sensor. You can see how the arm is attached in the photo.

2009-2011RHS.jpg

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

On 3/18/2017 at 3:52 PM, rockfangd said:

so is the shaft splined? what holds the arm from rotating on the shaft. Some have a flat on one side that keeps it from rotating

It doesn't seem to be, nothing prevents it from rotating on the shaft which confused me as to how this thing actually works!

On 3/18/2017 at 7:36 PM, OldCadTech said:

The strange thing is, the above pictured sensor doesn't look anything like the replacement ride height sensors for a 2007 Deville.

It does however look a LOT like a 2009 - 2011 sensor. You can see how the arm is attached in the photo.

Thanks, it does look exactly like this (even the part number on the arm!).

I looked for a replacement, but they all look different (similar to what Logan posted), though they appear to be a direct replacement... I tried looking up 09-11 DTS parts, and still get the other style. Maybe this failed in the past and was replaced with the newer OEM style.

-Chris

It was. Quite a common issue.

There has to be a way to keep that arm stationary on the shaft and it has to be positioned precisely. If not the ride height on that corner will be higher or lower than it is supposed to be

GM FAN FOREVER

I think the problem with using the old one is that there is a piece missing. 

Note the piece under the c-clip. Looking at your old "arm" it looks like it may have been a thick piece or may have been some kind of attaching washer or spacer of some sort.

Also, your old arm appears to have an alignment mark, which goes along with what rockfangd stated above. you would probably be better off getting another sensor either at a junk yard or a new one online.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

if it doesn't break. Happy plastics.

The old square body ones in my era are indestructable. I have never had one break yet

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived