CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STrange transmission issue, please read I am getting MAD lol

Anyone have any idea or help with this one? Had HARD HARD downshifts, medium hard upshifts then I got the code for the TCC solenoid, replaced it flushed the system, nothing changed BUT code for that didn't come back. 

Went to a local Trans Guy my friend knows, he drove it with a Tech II hooked up, said all the trans electrical functions are doing what they are supposed to, then he pops the hood and takes of the puke tank cap off and I see this (picture) He then says "You need a trans", that "goop" is glycol from the cooler mixing with the coolant and that it swelled up all the accumulators/solenoid rubber..etc? BUT when I drained the fluid to do te solenoid it looked PERFECT didn't smell funny or anything? Could it be as simple as the TCM? I did get a code for the temp being out of range the P0128, the trans Guy says this is a bad t stat because of the Glycol contamination. He said trans, radiator and the trans lines need to be replaced. Thanks in advance.

DSC_0248.jpg

I am not familiar with that specific transmission but can offer some general help.  The transmission cooler in the radiator may be leaking which is the source of the coolant in the transmission fluid.  Any decent radiator shop can change out the cooler if you bring the radiator to them.

I would think the transmission lines could be flushed with a chemical designed for that purpose vs. replaced.

It might not hurt to get a second opinion - if you do need a transmission, the existing one should be able to be rebuilt.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

:welcomesmiley:

That is the coolant reservoir or surge tank, the transmission cooler is probably leaking into the cooling system as @KHE stated. The transmission fluid cooler pressure is greater than the cooling system pressure so I doubt if the coolant is going into the transmission. The radiator needs to be replaced BUT I doubt very much the transmission needs replacing. I've seen this happen a lot and I've never seen it damage a transmission yet. This could be a first but I doubt it very much.

The fact that you didn't notice anything in the transmission fluid adds validity to the transmission NOT needing replacement.

Replace the radiator and flush the cooling system, including the coolant reservoir. I would check the cooling system daily and operate the vehicle for 3-5 thousand miles then flush the cooling system again.

You can re-evaluate the harsh shift after the fluid problem is corrected, if it is still shifting hard.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

I did a fluid flush, filter etc when I did the TCC solenoid which I had a code for, the shifts are still MEGA hard downshifting and mild hard upshifting.  I cen never get a definitive answer on this,all the CTS's out there I know I am not the only one that has this violent downshifting issue.  Again I am going to order a TCM since the message I have on the DIC are check stability and check brake assist.  These are tied into the TCM so for $20 and a flash its a cheap try.  The tranny Guy that I know said the glycol already did the damage to the trans and there is no coming back?  Says the accumulators and all rubber components are swelled up and not working smoothly and properly.

i don't agree with his diagnosis. The flush I'm talking about is the cooling system not the transmission.

Other than the harsh shift problem your transmission is probably fine. If you had the "milkshake" in the transmission I would agree that the transmission needs replacing or overhauled.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived