CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

won't turn over, key won't release

help!

my 05 SRX all of a sudden won't turn over (the whole dash goes blank when attempt to start),

and the key won't go back to position A, nor will it release.

the battery is charged, and released the key manually by pressing that spring under the column.

getting code: U0 100

DIC said "service theft system"

thanks,

:welcomesmiley:

Did the battery go dead before this happened?

Is the security light on steady?

Have you tried clearing the codes?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

19 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

:welcomesmiley:

Did the battery go dead before this happened?

Is the security light on steady?

Have you tried clearing the codes?

i have no reason to suspect the battery went dead. However, it did drop to 12 volts when the key got stuck.

the security light is not on steady.

code was cleared, then came right back again.

i suspect the ECM has gone. Is it true that I can buy one pre-programmed? It seems

all they need is the VIN. So I don't have to go to the stealer?

is the PCM located on the side of the engine compartment fuse box? thanks.

It is common for the ECM to cause the problem. Yes there are places that can program the PCM for you with your VIN.

The PCM is located near the throttle body, passenger side of engine.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Not sure what you are referring to...

The ECM receives piston position information from the crankshaft position sensor.

I'm not familiar with the chatter on programming the keys. Are you talking about the security system and the ignition key pellet?

there's apparently also a top dead center sensor on the cam shaft. so i guess i don't have to

be concerned about that.

so the security system must  recognize the keys (1 and 2)  and not the ECM. .i don't see any pelets on

these keys. the identifier must be in the key or fob.

There are 2 camshaft position sensors.

Are you trying to fix the problem? Sounds like you are simply gathering information from the internet.

Did you get the vehicle to start? Did you try another key? Do you only have one key? Have you tried a key relearn?

Throwing parts at it until you fix it or you run out of money is NOT the way to fix it.

i'm trying to figure out whether the ECM can be replaced without

requiring a tech II and all the learn procedures.. the service manual says the

theft deterrent system requires a learn procedure after replacing the PCM. some

BS about a "fuel continue password".  then there's the "crankshaft position sensor

system variation learn".

can I just get this pre-programmed unit and it'll all just work or should I tow to dealer? thanks.

http://www.fs1inc.com/oem-engine-computer-programmed-plug-play-2005-cadillac-srx-12581144-3-6l-ecu-ecm-pcm.html

It should be as they say "plug and play". The security system and the other modules will "think" the ECM is the original ECM.

Without diagnosing the ECM it is only a "probable cause" of the problem, I will say that it is difficult to do the diagnosis and it requires a digital volt/ohm meter to diagnose properly. If you don't have a good understanding of electrical diagnosis the ECM replacement may be your best gamble. The odds are in your favor though, but keep in mind, they will NOT take in back if it doesn't fix your problem, so it is an expensive gamble.

I understand your concern about the cost to take it to the dealer but it can be less expensive in the long run to get the proper diagnosis in the beginning. 

• 3 weeks later...

Try a battery disconnect, both cables and touch the cable ends together for a second or 2. This will drain any keep alive memory and / or transient voltage.

Then perform a key relearn :

To perform a relearn, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle. The battery will be used for 30 minutes without the alternator available for charging. Connect a battery charger to the battery to ensure power is available while programming. Both the BCM and PCM must be working and communicating with each other. GM Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Relearn Procedures Page 1 of 4 1. Insert ignition key and turn to the “ON” position. Do not attempt to start the engine. Leave the key in the “ON” position for approximately 11 minutes. The security light will be steady on or flashing for the 11-minute period. Do not proceed to Step 2 until the security light turns off or stops flashing. 2. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds. 3. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes. 4. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds. 5. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes for a third time. 6. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds for a third time. 7. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for 30 seconds. 8. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position. 9. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs, the relearn is complete.

Archived