CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

01 Deville PCM, RIM Codes

Hello, 

I recently purchased a 2001 Deville for $500. The woman told me it had been setting for a month. The battery was less than a yr old and so was the alternator, both having warranties. It was her DD until a mishap with her license. I replaced the tires and battery, added coolant, transmission fluid, and oil. I drove the car for a week with no issues. I want to warm it up one morning to take my kids to school and it wouldn't start. I got a jump and it started. I only made it about 10 miles of the 15 mile drive to school. It died and wouldn't start back up. Each time I turned the key it made a rapid clicking noise. I took the battery to an O'REILLY where that charged it. The charge lasted 3 days and it started doing the same thing. I did the on-board diagnostic and several codes showed.  

PCM

P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean

P0385 - CKP Sensor B Circuit

P0386 - CKP Sensor B Performance

P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

RIM 

C0660 - Level Control Exhaust Valve Malfunction

The codes above displayed as current. Several others are in the history. 

Q: The ABS codes that display begin with C but read as history. Are they current as well, or is that just the code letter for that system?

My dad was a mechanic for 30 yrs. I loved to help him work. He passed away last yr so I'm lost on where to begin.

Q: Can you guys explain what the codes mean, what the source of them may be, and what parts I need to buy first?

Thank you all

:welcomesmiley:

Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery or is not charging it enough. If your dad had a battery charger, charge the battery and take the car to O'Reiliy's and have them check the charging system, OR take it to a mechanic and have it checked. Then let us know.

Don't worry about the codes until the battery problem is corrected,,,

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

• 7 months later...

Archived