CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Looking for a mechaninc in Ontario willing to work on 99 Northstar deville.

TheRoger

3 hours ago, TheRoger said:

OK agreed.  I have come across that guy from my searching and glad to hear i chose the right product.  I didnt mean to get into it with you

No we didnt get into it, communication is difficult here alot is left out and a lot is held back. Plus you are frustrated with the car.  Listen, when its fixed, the DEVILLE, is an awesome car and the last of that body style!   But keep in mind that is a 99, regardless of mileage and how good it looks.  They need to be 'renovated' just like your kitchen and bath at home.  Look your brake lines over carefully, they rust and can put you in trouble.  I have seen brake lines go now on 3.   I am going to put stainless steel lines throughout my 97, stainless steel will also improve brake pedal response.    If your front engine mount is bad, buy Jakes front mount, it will improve throttle response as the engine will be held more securely.  That is, assuming his mount fits the 99.  If you have any transmission codes like the P0741, if the engine comes out, now is the time to fix that.  If the engine comes out, replace the HVAC barrier, it is plastic and overtime becomes brittle and cracks apart, its about $125.  

You would not believe the stories.  I am sure you read the crazy stories on the other cadillac site from a few years ago.  I have no actual purchasing or engine repairs from either firm, I can only gather information, research and speak to the parties and draw a conclusion.  I have personally spoken to about 10 former customers that had engine work done and have developed an opinion from that also.  I have watched youtube videos, scanned web pages, facebook pages and looked at their professionalism and how they deal with criticism, the public and whether they deliver.  Character becomes very clear when you pay attention.

I spoke to Jake he remembers you and will fill me in later.

I will tell you this, Jake is a good person,  a deep thinker and honest, i first spoke to him in 2008.  If you read stuff on the internet about him or anyone, the details are never clear, you are shouted over, people pile on, and worse they take sides and it becomes a free for all.   If you have ever noticed when you are being attacked its hard to defend yourself without looking like you are making excuses, especially when your competition is stoking the flames and playing dirty.  Its tough to beat that unless you lower yourself and get dirty yourself.  Think politics

If you need help, give me a yell, i have your service manual.  MIKE

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Roger,

If you studded the front bank, why not do the rear bank?  Machining the block is the same - front or rear.  We can help you through the static timing.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jake spoke to Roger about doing this KHE, he suggested tilting the carriage forward to provide a better angle and more room and to use a 90 degree drill. 

We have had members do the job this way Roger

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

yes thats what i was planning on doing.  its just too daunting for me to do myslef with a couple of floor jacks and some stands.  Its ok though my old mechanic has agreed and it should be short work once he comes up here.  I really didnt mean to slander jake or anything i actually thought he was a good guy and seemed really friendly and knowledgable, thats why i hoped to hire him as he told me he comes to ontario often.

Glad you have it lined up to be fixed.  

There is no question, it is a daunting task that is for sure.

Jake sent you an email.  He said you wanted to meet him to pick up the studs and maybe that is what slowed the process down.

Also as you know he got hit with a snow storm when he was to try to get to you.  He is a small company and when you are the chief cook and bottle washer, real life can get in the way.  

Trying to machine the block with the engine in the car just isn't worth the trouble - been there, done that.  When you have the engine torn down enough to access the block to machine the head bolt holes, you're less than 20 minutes from removing the block and having it installed on an engine stand.  With the engine on a stand, it is much easier to machine the bolt holes.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

To add - another good reason to have the engine out of the car is that the water crossover install is a 5 minute job.  That thing is a horrible job to do with the engine in the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm so glad this thread got back on track. I had my own experience with Jake, and really like him. But I understand the frustration.

How far do you have to tilt that engine to get the head back on after studs are installed? Must be a lot!  Kevin how did you get the car high enough to remove the cradle?

3 hours ago, airmike said:

I'm so glad this thread got back on track. I had my own experience with Jake, and really like him. But I understand the frustration.

How far do you have to tilt that engine to get the head back on after studs are installed? Must be a lot!  Kevin how did you get the car high enough to remove the cradle?

I pulled the engine from the top when I did the Timesert job.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 month later...

Update guys.  good news.  Got into the perfect situation where my old mechanic dropped the motor for me and allowed me to do my own work.  Finished the studs and everything no problem was actually easy with the motor out.  Would have been a nightmare doing it in my shop i just wasnt equipped.  Anyways, got her all back together jakes studs really seem to be a nice product, have trememdous confidence in them.  get the car back home later today and will throw on the belt drive and throttle linkages and the like, and hopefully be driving in a day or two.  Would be interested in that fsm if you have an extar one for sale.

hey i got everything back together now, everything is where it should be and i had the battery on the charger, hooked her up and nothing.  No dash lights whatsoever no electrical response from the car.  checked my grounds and added a few body to engine, etc.  still nothing.  coudl the battery be bad it shows 12.4 volts on a meter so should have some cahrge to at least light up dash.  is there some plug that commonly gets left off or something?  I hired a guy to drop the engine for me but did all work otherwise on my own.  everything seems to be in place and hooked up.  checking fuses now

If none of the lights, etc. on the car work, I'd start at the battery connections and work back.  Something should be obvious.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hook ap a multimeter to the battery. Read the voltage with key off, then with the key on.

Does yours have one or 2 positive cables to the battery? IIRC 96 was the last year for that though.

Inspect the ground cable good to make sure it is not loose or disconnected.

It should be pretty obvious if you have no power to anything

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I can see a wire loom under the car in the area of the ABS module that has slack and is hangign low, contains one red primary wire.    must be the culprit.  Not going to attempt a repair right now out there its a rainy icy mess

ok found the issue this morning before work the main acessory power wire was not hooked up.  Car started up fine and runs good.  PS pumpp and valves made a bit of noise at first have since quieted down.  Runs good.  Doesnt overheat.  Now my wipers were working but have stopped the trobleshooting never ends.  Checked both fuses and relay no dice will inspec grounds now.

check the harness connector on the drivers side you hooked up. Due to old age of the connecter they are tempermental at times. wiggle it while the car is running, your alternator is controlled through the connector too.

Archived