CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Removing 2000 eldorado bumper

Ben ATX

Recently someone backed into me and pushed my front bumper cover  back a few inches and down one inch. I,have noticed that the cornering lights no longer sit flush and i want to take the bumper off and readjust it . I havent done this before and i have been trying to find a tutorial online . Does anyone know how i can achieve this so i can bend back the the mounts that hold my bumper cover . I just want to remove it so i can see what has been bent and hopefully once that has been readjusted the cornering lights will sit flush,and will no longer have a gap. Thanks 

The energy absorber unit may be stuck/pushed back.  The Eldorado should be similar to the '92-'97 Sevilles - remove the Phillips screws that hold the forward wheel well trim to the bumper cover.  There are two long bolts that are in the vertical direction on each side that need to come out.  I think they are below the bumper vertical pads.  The cover will then slide off in the forward direction.  You then have access to the energy absorber units and brackets.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It is very likely your absorbers got pushed in. Be thankful they worked as they absorb the impact. But likely will not again.

I went through it with my 97 Deville for the same problem. I had to replace the absorbers. Thanks to a nice trip to my local salvage yard

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The cornering lights dont seem to fit flush anymore , but with the bumper pushed down an inch it doesnt surprise me . Is there a place where the cornering lights hook into that can be adjusted? I noticed two slots and two screws holding the piece of plastic with the slots where the cornering light housing hooks into .  Iam wondering if these can be moved up or down with the loosening of the screws.thanks for your help.

can you post a picture? there is no movement on the marker lamps.

Where the fascia slides is 2 white parts (guides I would call them). There is one on each side. The fascia is slotted and slides in and out on these, is this what you are referring to?

GM FAN FOREVER

Bumper and Fascia Description

Bumpers

The front bumper assembly consists of an impact bar that is covered with a polyurethane RIM fascia. The RIM fascia is supported by fascia guides at each side. The bumper is attached to the body through left and right 2-stage energy absorbing units.

The Eldorado rear bumper design is the same as the front bumper. The DeVille rear bumper is similar to the others, but has an impact bar that is covered by an upper fascia and a lower fascia. All of the rear bumpers are made of polyurethane RIM material. The impact bar is attached to the body through left and right single-stage energy absorbing units. The DeVille upper fascia is attached to the body at the outer quarter panel areas. The lower fascia is attached to the impact bar and the rear wheelhouse areas. The lower fascia uses the body side moldings and the rear side marked lamps for support.

Energy Absorbing Units

Object Number: 372836  Size: MF
The bumpers are designed so that the vehicle can withstand a collision with a fixed barrier at 8 km/h (5 mph) with limited damage. After absorbing the energy of the collision, the energy absorbing (EA) units restore the bumper to the original position.

The EA device consists of the following 2 main sub-assemblies:

• The cylinder tube assembly
  • The piston tube assembly

The cylinder tube assembly is filled with a hydraulic fluid. The cylinder tube assembly consists of the following components:

• A frame bracket (11)
  • A cylinder tube (7)
  • A rear mounting bracket
  • A metering pin (8)

The piston tube assembly is filled with an inert gas under pressure . The piston tube assembly consists of the following components:

• A bumper bracket (12)
  • A piston tube (2)
  • A piston
  • A piston seal (10)
  • A stop-ring (3)
  • A seal (4)
  • A breakaway orifice (9)

The orifice (9) replaces the calibrated orifice that is used in conventional single-stage energy absorbers. This plug provides the 2-stage action.

In vehicle impacts below 8 km/h (5 mph), the 2-stage energy absorber acts like a conventional single-stage absorber. As the energy absorber collapses, the hydraulic fluid in the cylinder tube (7) is forced into the piston tube (2) through an orifice in the brass blowout plug. The metering pin (8) controls the rate at which the hydraulic fluid passes through the brass plug into the piston tube (2). The controlled movement of the hydraulic fluid provides the energy absorbing action.

In vehicle impacts from 8 km/h (5 mph) to 48.2 km/h (30 mph), the brass plug is designed to blow off of the bras plug seat. This provides the second-stage action. With the plug dislodged, the hydraulic fluid passageway becomes greatly enlarged. The larger opening allows the fluid to move rapidly from the cylinder tube (7) to the piston tube (2). This provides the energy absorption at greater impulses. Due to the one time (non-repeatable) nature of the 2-stage action, examine the energy absorber after a collision in order to verify the 2-stage operation. Replace the unit after a high-speed impact.

In either stage of absorber action, the hydraulic fluid that is forced from the cylinder tube (7) into the piston tube (2) displaces the floating piston (5). This compresses the inert gas behind the floating piston (5). After impact, the pressure of the compressed gas behind the floating piston (5) forces the hydraulic fluid back into the cylinder tube (7) assembly. This extends the energy absorber to the normal position.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

you are missing one important detail.

If you live in the rust belt it will never return. Once the surface rust gets pushed into the cylinder it gets stuck and wont come back out. Lol. Like here in NY

GM FAN FOREVER

Rock is that directed at me or Ben?  I was just trying to add some color and illustrations, not necessarily to address a specific issue.  I just rebuilt my HP DV7 and installed an SSD drive and got my GM service.manual installed and I am just itching to use it, :paint2:

41 minutes ago, rockfangd said:

you are missing one important detail.

If you live in the rust belt it will never return. Once the surface rust gets pushed into the cylinder it gets stuck and wont come back out. Lol. Like here in NY

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

On 12/11/2016 at 9:05 PM, BodybyFisher said:

Rock is that directed at me or Ben?  I was just trying to add some color and illustrations, not necessarily to address a specific issue.  I just rebuilt my HP DV7 and installed an SSD drive and got my GM service.manual installed and I am just itching to use it, :paint2:

not anyone, just covering it. No negative or anything like that. No problems with your post:hatsoff:

GM FAN FOREVER

Oh good, I didn't want you to think I was contradicting you with my post, thx

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 9:36 AM, rockfangd said:

can you post a picture? there is no movement on the marker lamps.

Where the fascia slides is 2 white parts (guides I would call them). There is one on each side. The fascia is slotted and slides in and out on these, is this what you are referring to?

I mean the cornering lights on the eldorado that are on the very  side of the  car in the two part housing heaglight fixture in The front. Its the same housing the blinker is in ,  and  the light that comes on only when your lights are on and it only comes on when you use your blinker on that side . Those cornering lights seam loose because the whole front bumper cover is lowered about an inch and a half and the lights rest on these inserts which are on top of the bumper.  I will see if i can load a picture , for some reason i never have any luck loading pictures on here.

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 1:17 PM, BodybyFisher said:

Bumper and Fascia Description

Bumpers

The front bumper assembly consists of an impact bar that is covered with a polyurethane RIM fascia. The RIM fascia is supported by fascia guides at each side. The bumper is attached to the body through left and right 2-stage energy absorbing units.

The Eldorado rear bumper design is the same as the front bumper. The DeVille rear bumper is similar to the others, but has an impact bar that is covered by an upper fascia and a lower fascia. All of the rear bumpers are made of polyurethane RIM material. The impact bar is attached to the body through left and right single-stage energy absorbing units. The DeVille upper fascia is attached to the body at the outer quarter panel areas. The lower fascia is attached to the impact bar and the rear wheelhouse areas. The lower fascia uses the body side moldings and the rear side marked lamps for support.

Energy Absorbing Units

Object Number: 372836  Size: MF
The bumpers are designed so that the vehicle can withstand a collision with a fixed barrier at 8 km/h (5 mph) with limited damage. After absorbing the energy of the collision, the energy absorbing (EA) units restore the bumper to the original position.

The EA device consists of the following 2 main sub-assemblies:

• The cylinder tube assembly
  • The piston tube assembly

The cylinder tube assembly is filled with a hydraulic fluid. The cylinder tube assembly consists of the following components:

• A frame bracket (11)
  • A cylinder tube (7)
  • A rear mounting bracket
  • A metering pin (8)

The piston tube assembly is filled with an inert gas under pressure . The piston tube assembly consists of the following components:

• A bumper bracket (12)
  • A piston tube (2)
  • A piston
  • A piston seal (10)
  • A stop-ring (3)
  • A seal (4)
  • A breakaway orifice (9)

The orifice (9) replaces the calibrated orifice that is used in conventional single-stage energy absorbers. This plug provides the 2-stage action.

In vehicle impacts below 8 km/h (5 mph), the 2-stage energy absorber acts like a conventional single-stage absorber. As the energy absorber collapses, the hydraulic fluid in the cylinder tube (7) is forced into the piston tube (2) through an orifice in the brass blowout plug. The metering pin (8) controls the rate at which the hydraulic fluid passes through the brass plug into the piston tube (2). The controlled movement of the hydraulic fluid provides the energy absorbing action.

In vehicle impacts from 8 km/h (5 mph) to 48.2 km/h (30 mph), the brass plug is designed to blow off of the bras plug seat. This provides the second-stage action. With the plug dislodged, the hydraulic fluid passageway becomes greatly enlarged. The larger opening allows the fluid to move rapidly from the cylinder tube (7) to the piston tube (2). This provides the energy absorption at greater impulses. Due to the one time (non-repeatable) nature of the 2-stage action, examine the energy absorber after a collision in order to verify the 2-stage operation. Replace the unit after a high-speed impact.

In either stage of absorber action, the hydraulic fluid that is forced from the cylinder tube (7) into the piston tube (2) displaces the floating piston (5). This compresses the inert gas behind the floating piston (5). After impact, the pressure of the compressed gas behind the floating piston (5) forces the hydraulic fluid back into the cylinder tube (7) assembly. This extends the energy absorber to the normal position.

So when the person backed in to me it was at about 1 mile an hour . There was a car behind me and i couldnt go anywhere so i jusy layed onto the  horn as he slowly horrifficly backed into me with his truck at about 1 or 2 miles an hour without hearing me yelling or honking at him. Now my question is ,with that kind of low impact would i be needing to replace any of those two stage energy absorbers. I noticed your post said it would need replacemwnt aftet a high speed impact but that was not a high speed impact ,it was very slow . However it is stuck in an off center position so i am guessing i need to take the whole bumper cover off to see what might be bent out of place in order to reset the bumper cover back to factory specs. Right now the front bumper cover is about an inch down and an inch to two inches back from where it was. So when i drive in reverse and turn it sometimes rubs the tire  on the bumper inside the wheel well. But my question is do you think it will need to be adjusted metal parts to get the bumper cover to go back to the way its suppossed to be , or do i also need to  replace the 2 stage energy absorbers ?keep in mind it was a very low impact fwnder bender. I am taking it off tomorrow (bumper cover )and looking at what i can and figure out and apply what you have told me here . Thank you for your help . 

On Thursday, December 08, 2016 at 10:43 PM, rockfangd said:

It is very likely your absorbers got pushed in. Be thankful they worked as they absorb the impact. But likely will not again.

I went through it with my 97 Deville for the same problem. I had to replace the absorbers. Thanks to a nice trip to my local salvage yard

There is a 2001 i. The parts yard thays is in great condition .50000 mile bumper needs paint because its red and my car is black, but im in school for that so no big deal. My question is if i take the new bumper cover off will the new aborbers come off with it or are they attached to the bumper behind the bumper cover? How hard are they too remove ?i am gonna rake a look tomorrow.

The bumper cover is separate from the absorbers.  The absorbers are between the structural bumper and the subframe.  Unless they give you the absorbers, I'd just tap the old one back out once you have the cover off.

If you wanted to replace them, they are attached with bolts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

they are cake to remove. Just a few bolts. Wish I had a few pics of when  I did mine. 

I doubt they will come with a used bumper. Unless you ask and get lucky enough for someone to include them

GM FAN FOREVER

I am sorry, I just noticed that my photo didnt display above 

nice post

As you can see 2 nuts and bolts on the face side.

1 bolt on the side. None difficult to get to with cover removed.

There are 2 vertical bolts that hold the cover on(at each absorber). They go up from the bottom of the bumper through the absorbers. You can actually see the slight round opening in the bottom of the bumper cover where they are

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived