CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Getting Ready for Winter

Bruce Nunnally

One of our topics for #Motorama Live chat Wednesday was getting ready for Winter.  Some of you store your Cadillacs during the long winter, while the rest of us drive through. 

Although I garage my Cadillac overnight, at work it is out in the weather.  I like to check for a functional ice scraper, jumper cables (in case I need to help others), and a blanket. 

What do you do to get your Cadillac ready for the Winter?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

honestly very little with mine. They warm up and defrost so quickly .

The heated seats help big time also.

I let mine run for about a minute varying by outside temp and I drive it.

I will not be driving either one of my caddys this winter though. I decided to take my new one (to me) off for the winter to help preserve it for another year

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

My Grandfather and Uncle drove a lot for work.  They each had an organizer with back up supplies they might need on the road.  Everything from fan belts, brake fluid, coolant was included I imagine.  Of course cars were less reliable than current models (albeit less complicated and easier to maintain).   If God forbid your car did stop on the road, or slide off into a snow bank as I did one trip through Oklahoma, what would you want in the car to help get it going?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have roadside assistance. Luckily even with all of the traveling I have done I have been lucky. I dont dare say too much lol.

A few years ago I lost control of my 96 Deville because someone in front of me decided it was a great idea to slam on their brakes going down a slick hill. She went off the road one way and I went the other. managed to miss a ditch, telephone pole, and a shed. It seriously looked like I had backed into a driveway when it landed. ABS would have never did anything for me, all I did was lightly hit the brakes to try to slow down a little.

Anyway I got out of the car to assess everything. Snow was about a foot deep where I landed. No damage to anything.

I carefully drove forward without spinning or stopping and it walked right back out to the road. It was funny because when I made it to the bottom of the hill there was 3 vehicles still off the road and the plows were just coming up the hill.

I was very pleased that for a heavy  car it pulled out so smoothly. 

I might add that I always keep some fuses and my spare fully aired up, and a good friend that would rescue in a heartbeat.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I keep a blanket in the car.  I get cold in the summer, I would probably freeze to death In 1/2 hour if I ever got stranded.

for my Cadillacs with onstar, I monitor the tire pressure more often, and tend to keep the tires 1-3 lbs above the recommended value to allow for air loss in the cold weather. For my caddy without Onstar, I use a digital tire pressure gauge, and also keep the pressure in check every week or so.  I use synthetic oil in my daily driver that does not get put inside in the winter.

BTW, I notice that runflats have a harsher ride, and they tend to loose a little more air then regular tires (1-2 lbs every few weeks)

I'm not sure I ever told you guys the story that on 9/11 I had to sleep in my car on the side of the road in NJ because NYC was closed and I couldn't cross the bridge to get home.  I used the trunk mat to stay warm in the back seat.  All I heard all night was fighter jets flying overhead.  I was trying to get home, and I was doing ~105 because my brother was a NYC fireman, and he was there, and we didn't hear from him.  Later on in the day I found out he was ok, and a church hosted the Red Cross with. Beds,  but I stayed in my car.

Archived