CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear sagging...

adallak

The electronic level control (ELC) compressor of my 1995 Fleetwood finally quit. Because the rear struts were leaking anyway, I want to get rid of them and install regular shocks. The rear sags as it is shown in the photo. The edge of the skirt should be some 1.5" - 2" higher.

Rockauto has listed gas-charged ones for my car. Question - will the replacement bring the rear to proper level if I keep the original springs? Thank you.

IMG_2494 - Edited.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

My rear is sagging too ?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

A picture would probably be frightening and definitely illegal. ?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

1 minute ago, Marika said:

A picture would probably be frightening and definitely illegal. ?

Okay, then tell us where the edge of your skirt is. :D 

Tripping over it!! :bluesbrothers:

Just now, adallak said:

Ouch, is it a miniskirt? 

Micro-mini!  LOL!!!

Getting back to your question for a moment, the answer is no. Even though gas charged shocks do provide a little bit of lift, you may only expect to see about a 1/4" difference in ride height. Not nearly enough to replace the air shock or load leveler type of shock that is required.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The factory air shocks will provide the correct ride height.  It sounded like the bladders were shot and the compressor ran excessively which let to its failure.  The factory air shocks are around $100 each and you could get a compressor from the junkyard.  I'd recommend that rout vs. re-engineering the rear suspension.

I heard they deleted the green LEVEL RIDE light from the upper left of the instrument panel starting with the '95 model year.  Not sure why - that is an excellent indicator that can tell you if something is wrong with the system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I loved when it had that light. It told more than one would think. 

It also showed off the fact that you had automatic air ride

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 1 month later...

JohnyG and KHE,

Thank you fro the replies. I ended up buying and installing these Monroe air shocks. They were only $63 shipped and came with fittings and tubes necessary to connect them to a valve I have mounted behind the rear bumper. All fittings are cheap plastic and unfortunately I have a very slow leak, so every two weeks or so I have to pump them up at a gas station. Not fun! I am afraid the plastic valve will not take such frequent filling. The job was not very easy since there was not much access to the fasteners at the top of the shocks. But a  good friend of mine offered his car lift and gave me a hand, so it was not that bad after all. The ride is good.

here is what I did.

I have air ride in the back of my chevy k1500. I installed it almost 10 years ago and it has never leaked.

It was a set from monroe. I tightened all of the fittings by hand and heres the biggest help. I installed a steel extension valve core onto the T where the plastic valve stem is. I felt the same way as you and doing that solved that problem. I then installed a valve cap that has a rubber threaded inside rather than aluminum or steel.

My air shocks have surprised me in how well they hold air and how well they perform.

GM FAN FOREVER

On 11/5/2016 at 10:35 AM, Marika said:

Rockfangd,

Where did you get that steel extension valve core. I still cannot picture the modification you have done. I would definitely modify that plastic setting before it leaves me stranded in the middle of nowhere in cold!

Hmm. Good question lol.

I imagine any tire shop  would carry it. 

I use them for trucks and buses with dual rear wheels. 

If you like I would gladly send you one.

The best part is that you only thread it onto the plastic valve once and it becomes the valve.

GM FAN FOREVER

On 12/15/2016 at 9:37 PM, rockfangd said:

Hmm. Good question lol.

I imagine any tire shop  would carry it. 

I use them for trucks and buses with dual rear wheels. 

If you like I would gladly send you one.

The best part is that you only thread it onto the plastic valve once and it becomes the valve.

Thank you for the offer. Let me first try a couple of local tire shops. My valve is not on the T. Air tubes from the shocks join at theT and another line runs from the T to a piece of the frame behind (or should I say "in front") of the rear bumper. A picture of your extension would help! Thank you. 

oh ok. My lines from thee shocks run to a T with the valve on it. I will post a picture for you tonight.

GM FAN FOREVER

th_valve%202_zpsforqz2jk.jpg

you can see the inside of the cap is rubber lined and seals very nicely. Valve is not completely secured as I just replaced the bumper and have yet to install a bushing to hold it

GM FAN FOREVER

no the cap is just extra protection. There is a nice valve in the extension. You can see it comes to a ball at the tip of it.

That part in your picture sure looks like it.

Just let me know if you have a hard time getting one and I will find one to send to you

GM FAN FOREVER

21 hours ago, rockfangd said:

no the cap is just extra protection. There is a nice valve in the extension. You can see it comes to a ball at the tip of it.

That part in your picture sure looks like it.

Just let me know if you have a hard time getting one and I will find one to send to you

The leak considerably slowed down for some reason. I was afraid I would have to pump the system up every week. It's been three weeks and the rear does not sag yet. I'll let you know if I cannot find the adapter locally. Thank you!

Archived