CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My old 96 Deville is going crazy!

jndnaps

So a couple of days ago I was driving and the A/C temp went from 60 to 90 all by it's self. I noticed that the steering wheel controls stopped working and I had to lower the temp on the dash. As soon as I got it back to 60 the sucker went back up to 90. I had to go through that a few times before it finally stayed at 60. The radio also acted up a bit too. Today I went out and this time the temps did it again a couple of times. Then the fan kept going from high to low on me. I had to drive most of the way with my finger on the high setting to keep it running on high. The car also drive in traction control on all the time now so it takes of in 2nd gear. I get the check engine and traction control lights on. The battery and alternator are a few months old and seem fine. Car has a ton of codes that I still don't understand. I'm thinking it's time to let it go. I love this car, had it for almost 12 years now but just can't deal with all the problems anymore. Plus, don't want to sink a ton of money in a 20YO car. I'm gonna try cleaning and tightening the battery cables. How many ground wires are there and where are the locations?   

Here are all the codes it brought up this time. PC0603H  PC1634C  PC1644H  IP1552H  IP2510C  IP2515H  TC0067H  TC0073C  RS0061H  PZ1552H  IR2255H  

I'm also getting the check electrical system message. Me and electrical stuff just don't get along..    

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

If you could get the electrical schematic of the steering wheel the problem must be in there or start from there. Is the Traction Control wiring part of the original system (A/C?) that started giving you trouble? Or does the TC wiring run near it that it could be affected somehow, by a broken or shorted wire nearby? Does your radio act up when the A/C is on the fritz?

PCM PC 0603: PCM Memory reset.  Was the battery disconnected?

PCM PC 1634 Ign 1 low voltage.  Is the IGN 0 fuse blown?  What about IGN 1 fuse?

PCM PC1644 Check for an intermittent or poor connection at the PCM and the EBTCM.

IP 1552 Was the battery disconnected? 

IP 2515 Poor connections at steering wheel controls to IPC.

IP 2510 Steering wheel controls stuck.  This is what's causing your climate control issues.  Check to see if the switches are binding.  The switches may need to be replaced.

TC 0067 Check to see if the brake lamps are working properly.  If not, the switch may need to be adjusted or may need to be replaced.

TC 0073 Check the connections at the EBTCM

RS 0061 RF input sensor fault.  Looks like the front left strut damper on the active suspension may be starting to go bad or there is a poor connection where the strut plugs into the body harness.

PZ 1552 If this code set without the battery being disconnected, check the connections at the PZM

IR 2255 Loss of serial data.  Since it is history, it is probably nothing to worry about.

To me, it looks like a bunch of poor connections are causing 90% of the problems.  A couple of hours with some electrical contact cleaner, seating and re-seating the connections should fix the issues.

The steering wheel controls can be replaced if damaged - there should be no shortage of those in the junkyard.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Given the age of the car, I think you should check the underhood relay center for corroded connections, start with IGN 1.  Rock had problems and he had a bad connection under the relay center, but that appeared to be an aftermarket splice.

Keep in mind that power goes to the starter and to the underhood relay center.  I recently had a headlight problem on a 97 and it was corrosion and Iv had similar problems on a 95.  

Check the body ground and the engine grounds, and look at the wires for creeping corrosion.

When I had my 96, I removed every underhood fuse/relay and cleaned everything with electronics contact cleaner. 

As KHE this is appearing to be a bad connection.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would check grounds. And of course your battery connections.

Faulty ground will cause all kinds of wacky issues. There is likely a ground that involves most of what you have going on. 

I am sure someone will post a grounding schematic.

Any like BBF said check the electrical center. Look for corrosion at the fuses and relays. I would bet it is something simple that is causing your issues.

Look for green around any of the wiring which would mean a corroded wire. 

I loved my 96. I would do anything to have another. Was the best car I had. I have a 97 now that replaced my 96 but I liked the 96 better.

I would be happy to acquire your 96. Too bad you are in FLA

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Edit

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If this car has a key in the dash, vs on the column try banging on the dash right next to the key and see if anything changes. Mine was turning on traction control/abs, radio would turn on but no volume and the key for me: the radar detector would turn on and off, if I banged on the dash. If it makes any difference, suspect the ignition switch.

You should not get rid of your car.  I agree that corrosion/oxidation is a modern (even 20yo) cars worst enemy besides tampering. Not knowing if your car was ever altered or not, but either way, you should also consider checking your purple wire integrity throughout the car, and especially where any modifications or recent work were performed.  

i do not work for wd-40, but i can not stress enough that outside wires and connectors should be sprayed down, and left to sit for a day or 2 in warm dry weather.  Any connector that has been disconnected in the past should be disconnected, spray the contacts, then connected again. After connected, push each wire in on the back of the connector to confirm a tight contact.  Sometimes, a single pin may detach from the harness if it were ever forced, or the pin was out of alignment.

Btw, i did not know you were having problems with your '96 recently but i remember seeing pictures of it on this site. Its a beauty.

I would be very suspect of the contact plate in the steering column. That is the one thing all the steering wheel switches have in common. If you can get it to "act-up" in the driveway, turn the steering wheel slowly lock to lock and see if the problem changes or clears..

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

On 9/24/2016 at 10:14 AM, KHE said:

PCM PC 0603: PCM Memory reset.  Was the battery disconnected?

PCM PC 1634 Ign 1 low voltage.  Is the IGN 0 fuse blown?  What about IGN 1 fuse?

PCM PC1644 Check for an intermittent or poor connection at the PCM and the EBTCM.

IP 1552 Was the battery disconnected? 

IP 2515 Poor connections at steering wheel controls to IPC.

IP 2510 Steering wheel controls stuck.  This is what's causing your climate control issues.  Check to see if the switches are binding.  The switches may need to be replaced.

TC 0067 Check to see if the brake lamps are working properly.  If not, the switch may need to be adjusted or may need to be replaced.

TC 0073 Check the connections at the EBTCM

RS 0061 RF input sensor fault.  Looks like the front left strut damper on the active suspension may be starting to go bad or there is a poor connection where the strut plugs into the body harness.

PZ 1552 If this code set without the battery being disconnected, check the connections at the PZM

IR 2255 Loss of serial data.  Since it is history, it is probably nothing to worry about.

To me, it looks like a bunch of poor connections are causing 90% of the problems.  A couple of hours with some electrical contact cleaner, seating and re-seating the connections should fix the issues.

The steering wheel controls can be replaced if damaged - there should be no shortage of those in the junkyard.

KHE, Thanks for taking the time with the codes. The battery hasn't been touched since July 1st. Had a new Alt put in then. 

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm gonna try and clean up the connections. Anyone have info on all ground locations?  

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Archived