CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Electric Cars will Be Here Sooner Than You Think

Cadillac Jim

Wall Street Journal article (may require subscription):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-electric-cars-will-be-here-sooner-than-you-think-1472402674?tesla=y

The jist of the article is that a typical car costs about $33K today, and in two years Tesla (and probably others) will have its Model 3 with 200 miles of range for $35K.  The Chevy Bolt will be right in there with it.

This is a disruptive technology and it is nigh upon us.  GM has bypassed the hybrid wave with just the next-generation Volt and ELR, but the only model that I see out there is the Bolt.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying when you say that GM has "bypassed the hybrid wave with just the Volt and the ELR". The Volt is a great car, and still gets the highest satisfaction ratings of all GM cars by owners. ELR was just a really BAD idea, with a really HIGH price. 

The Volt was designed for the person that drives back and forth to work every day, and plugs in at night. No, it is not a highway cruiser and was never intended to be, but it did a fine job on the nonstop trip from Ohio to Florida. Not any worse than driving a Cruze or a Corolla. Having owned one, it just amazed me that I could cruise at 100 MPH on electricity alone. Driving the way I did, and how 80% of the population would drive the car, I filled up the 9 GALLON tank about once every 10 or 12 months! And no range anxiety since it has a gas engine for backup.

So no, I don't believe that the Bolt is the only option out there at all.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The WSJ article pointed out that 200+ mile plug-in electric cars will be here in two years at about the same price as gasoline grocery-getters.  That is likely to toggle a significant market share from gas-powered to electric cars in a short time.  That's a disruptive transition.

Toyota, Honda, Ford and others have a lot of hybrid models out there.  GM has just a couple of models, albeit all ahead of their time and the competition, and competition-ready given emerging battery technology and the price point vs. comparable gas-powered cars.

The Volt, ELR, and Bolt are exemplary models, and the Bolt is just a battery away from being part of the next wave.  But is GM as ready as some other makers to deal with a change in the market to electric cars?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

So my question should have been directed more at the writer of the WSJ article, who, like so many others do not understand the Volt and what it is capable of. It is also my opinion that GM's position is just fine, based on the engineering knowledge it has gained in the Volt, and the Bolt, it will be able to respond quickly if gasoline prices head towards $4.00 per gallon again.

Further, I see absolutely nothing special about a purely electric car. I'd much rather use 9 or even 25 gallons of gas a year and totally eliminate range anxiety.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived