CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air shocks on a budget

rockfangd

Hi all. 

I need rear air shocks for my 97 Deville. I have already dumped too much money in it this year, but I know if I dont replace them I will have to put more than shocks in it.

The current ones leak and the compressor runs more than I like. I plan to take a trip soon but do not want to burn out the compressor.

Anyway I would love to get the Arnott set but dont really have the budget.

Has anyone ever tried the monroe 40046?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I have the 40046 Monroes on my '97 STS.  No complaints - they bolt right in and use the existing air lines and function with the OE compressor.  You will need to use the old shock wires to make a cheater cord to suppress the "Service Ride Control" message.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just eliminated my compressor and put manual monroe air shocks on my 2004 Deville.....they work great.......I ran the lines inside the trunk (old school) with the air fitting safe inside.....if I need air for heavy weights I just add manually.....I put 100 + lbs. in the trunk now and the back does not even move.....now have a great cadillac ride again....no more dealing with compressor problems....Boib.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this I ended up purchasing the Arnott shock kit. 

I have to install them though. 

I would rather maintain the factory setup. I am not usually one to change from oem setup. 

I have a manual air ride on my truck and although it is great, it isnt so great when I have to put a decent load in it and dont have a source for air to add to it.

I want to make it automatic. One of these days I will

GM FAN FOREVER

• 4 weeks later...

So I went to install the new shocks today but found they dont come with the top nuts.

Anyone have any idea what the chances are of the nuts coming off the originals?

i figured I was going to have to cut the old ones but without new ones to replace them I wont touch it.

I have alot of hardware but nothing that fit the new ones.

GM FAN FOREVER

Can't help here, I used Boston Suspension rear shocks on my 96 Deville.  They are no longer in business.   Very surprising they don't provide all hardware.  

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would call Arnott and inquire about the lack of top nuts.  Maybe they are the same as the GM part and you just need to buy them from the dealer.  Every one I have replaced, I've needed to cut the upper nut off with a die grinder because the years of corrosion makes it impossible to hold the shock rod to keep it from spinning.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

exactly the problem I am afraid of.

Looks to be a m14. Larger than the lugnuts.

I will call the dealer. I dont have high hopes but it couldnt hurt. Thanks

GM FAN FOREVER

Well thats a bummer.

Have not found any help yet. 

I need the nut, retainer, and insulator. Been in contact with Arnott who does not  offer them. Said to reuse the original. Hate to state the obvious here but anyone who knows anything about old shocks is that you dont reuse anything (struts maybe but not shocks).

Looking at donors and my Deville I see no chance of reusing anything. Like a typical shock the top will have to be cut off.

HAd I known I was going to run into this I would have explored other options. I am sure I am not the only one who has run into this problem

GM FAN FOREVER

Rock, I may be able to help, I am not 100%, sure let me look in my garage tomorrow, I know I have the nuts, not sure about the insulator.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks. I am going to call around tomorrow to see if   I can locate something .

Would be nice to see a picture of the actual upper parts

GM FAN FOREVER

Nuts are not available at the dealer?

You might just need to cut the shock rod and pull the stub out, then use a torch to heat the nut to get it off the old rod.

Strange that Arnott would recommend using the old nut since there is really no good way to salvage it when removing it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Some success.

So the studs are M16x2.0 pitch.

I ordered the nuts from Fastenal.

Dealer showed all as discontinued.

Reusing the old nuts is just not worth the hassle. Too rusty. I just have to try to find the insulator(s)

GM FAN FOREVER

Well shocks are in.

It is not possible to cut the shaft to preserve the nut. The biggest problem I had was that the top stud kept turning(not the whole shock just the stud)

I figured out a way to work it though. I took my cutoff tool and cut down through the stud and nut. I then cut a large flat head screwdriver and stuck the tip into the cut groove. Held the tip and unscrewed the nut. It worked like a charm.

The air lines were very tight to get onto the new shocks. I was afraid they were going to break. took about 1 hour to replace them.

What a difference in the ride. It seems alot more responsive and does not bounce anymore. The compressor runs alot less also, If at all.

Before it used to have to run quite a bit.

Also the upper retainer and insulators were in beautiful shape, not rotted at all. I was very surprised.

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived