CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2007 DTS - Problem areas and vinyl roof removal?

Chris

My SLS is rotting from underneath so I'm looking for something a little newer.

I'm going to see a 2007 DTS owned by a guy that lives in Florida during the winter (i.e. the body should be in better shape than most local cars).

I know that these cars don't have the capability to read codes to me... I do have a Bluetooth OBD2 connector which might be able to read me codes. Can anyone give me (or point me towards) a run-down on things to watch on these cars? I searched the forum but didn't see anything that really stood out.

Also, the car has a vinyl roof covering. How are they attached to the car? Is it possible to remove, or would the paint/trim be damaged underneath?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer :)

-Chris

Welcome To Caddyinfo.

What would be the reason to remove the top?

Usually they are glued on. I would think it would need a repaint if removed. Could be wrong though.

How many miles on it?

Check recalls and service records if possible.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks for the reply - but don't welcome me, I've been around longer than you! :) Life has gotten busy and my car has been great so I haven't been on as much lately.

After seeing the car, I can see it would be major work to remove the top. I actually think it looks good, but I'm a bit concerned about how it will hold up through the winters (i.e. salt/brine getting trapped between the vinyl and actual roof).

Despite this, I ended up buying the car (75k miles) and will pick it up on Friday. There is one outstanding issue that I know of with the car but I'll make a new post so we can let this one die. :)

-Chris

Great news. Dont worry about the top. There are a number of different types of tops. cloth usually holds up pretty good.

My 96 had a full landau with the opera lighting. Loved it. Had no separation issues at all with it. It was weather cracked though (vinyl),

Best of luck to you. Please share pics when you get it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Having owned a 2008 DTS since new, I can tell you the things that happened to me. The front brakes were replaced under warranty for causing a shudder when they got hot. Not much of an issue in Florida so the previous owner may not have had the work done. This is a known issue, not exactly a recall, but WILL be covered by Caddy. It will only appear when going down a steep hill or other long grade.

Amother item was the ignition switch. It would not sense when the key was removed, therefore the EXIT position of the seats and steering wheel would not activate. Replaced under warranty. Speaking of ignition switch, don't forget the key recall where the hole in the key was filled. This prevents torque from heavy items on the ring turning your ignition off at 80 mph!

That's about it. If the car is anywhere near Edgewater FL, I'd be happy to look at it or meet you there. Mine sold recently with 40,000 miles on it for $15,000.00

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived