CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The rear seat vanity mirror (passenger side) in my 98 D'elegance is not right. The mirror itself is fine but the assembly that tilts down is slightly separated and I removed the unit from the roof. The front and back of the mirror assembly was not tightly together. I removed the 2 lens plates and found only 2 screws - 2 missing.  I will try to repair this but cannot separate the 2 pieces? No screws, but 1 corner will not release. Any suggestions?  Thanks.

I had the same problem with my 97. Looked like crap because they were both damaged. I should have snapped pics of the repair I did. 

Mine work like new now.

Welcome to Caddyinfo

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 1 month later...

I tried to repair mine, but it was easier to purchase one. The tabs that you release are attached to the frame plate attached to the roof. Look at the photo labeled "AttachedAttached_zpstjwe1p0i.jpg) and the tab is behind the slot in the upper left of the pix. Use a flat head screw driver to push tab away from the assembly as you gently pull the left side of assembly down just enough to get beyond the tab. Repeat this on the slot on the other side. Remove the power and ground wires from the unit. See the "Assy Removed" pixAssy%20Removed_zpsnvatvy4q.jpg. Remove both lenses using a small flat head. Be aware that there are 3 tabs on each lens. See "Lenses" pixLenses_zpsipy7zyko.jpg.  The four screws hold the front and rear parts of the swing down mirror assembly. My original was mucked up by original owner who must have pulled the two pieces apart without removing screws and broke the stubs on the back plate that the screws hold (see "ScrewHoles" pixScrewHoles_zpswbczvexv.jpg)

I tried contacted about 50 salvage yards in North Carolina, and found a Cadillac "gold mine" for used parts. They had some rear seat vanity mirrors and I bought one. Cadillac Heaven is in Leland NC 28451 (910) 655-9330 or (800) 227-9330.

Unable to attach photos. Contact me with email address and I will send them.

I did mine only by removing the lenses and the 4 screws and splitting the visors, basically left the rods in place in the assembly

GM FAN FOREVER

I had the same problem. I drilled them out and used machine screws and nuts. The nuts ended up behind the cloth

GM FAN FOREVER

Ah OK.    Sorry Joel, thought it was rockfand .  Was this color specific do you know or did they just say not available (assuming all colors)?   I did buy one from the dealer years ago and it has held up better then the originals for sure, I would like to replace the other one at some point but need to get the headliner fixed first :-)..

My sources show discontinued.

It seems they were not a great design. I bought mine from a Upullit yard. I might mention they are nearly impossible to find intact, and they only used them for a few years

GM FAN FOREVER

If I ever see any more at my local yard I will pull them and post them here. 

Just out of curiosity how does the whole assembly attach to the headliner?

GM FAN FOREVER

There is a plastic part (about 12" by 10") attached to the roof with some black adhesive. This is the piece that has the tabs that the mirror assembly (with trim plate) attaches to. I only know this because Cadillac heaven sent me the "complete" assembly with some headliner attached. If needed, I can post photos of this.

Brmurph re color. I emailed gmparts complementing them about their website which had a diagram of the roof parts with  the vanity mirror since it provided the GM part #. They responded not available with no color mention. I telephoned Cadillac heaven (ad in Hemmings) and spoke with the owner. I asked him if he had a "tan" mirror which GM called shale. He laughed and agreed that the name shale is misleading. He seemed to be very knowledgeable.

maybe a picture of the other part. The top side of the tan part that attaches to the black bracket. Basically looking for how to remove it from the roof without breaking anything 

GM FAN FOREVER

Here is picture of Tan frame that holds mirror Inside_zpswmwt42nq.jpg

Screwdriver in slot that releases tab on black part attached to roof. Next picture shows screwdriver blade through slot on back side BackFinger_zpsntfrcsnf.jpg

My finger is pointing to screwdriver blade. The black tab needs to clear the tan tab holder above the blade. There is one on each side that have to be released. When you have repaired mirror assembly, attach wires and press both sides near tab holders.

Archived