CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 Fleetwood Power draw Troubleshooting Help

25 minutes ago, OldCadTech said:

OoO - The picture is still fuzzy :paint2: but I'm starting to get an idea of what is happening :scenic:- what kind of controller are you using? Are you using multi-color strips?A Load equalizer or Signal Stabilizer may be needed. A lot of the led lights have such low current draw that the signal the BCM is looking for never reaches the correct voltage and it requires an LED driver.

An example of this is replacing the factory turn signal bulbs and the flasher cycles rapidly.

My accessory LED lighting knowledge is rather limited, so you would be wise to talk to someone that installs these for a living or has done a LOT of them successfully.

I like the effect you are trying to create BUT Cadillacs' control systems are different than the norm and don't handle modification easily. Cadillac modules look for a specific value and/or values within a set range. When you add other accessories on top of that such as a security system, now the module is REALLY confused AND add to that a fuse block that is from another vehicle only compounds the difficulty of diagnosis.  a couple of the leds flicker

35 minutes ago, Fleetwood Slim said:

no, there is no new fuse block. i was talking about the fuse cover under the hood. i think i was just looking at it wrong now.

And i think the rear trunk fuse box was removed. i haven't confirmed this yet nobody has answered me about the 93 having one in trunk or not

Edited by Fleetwood Slim

9 hours ago, Fleetwood Slim said:

But you are right doors are modified each door has a added courtesy light in it spliced into the oem lights. and all lights in car have led replacments

8 hours ago, Fleetwood Slim said:

but all are wires directly to the battery and toggled all except the oem cab lights that are led bulbs

When you spliced into the interior light circuit you tied into the BCM, you may have a "toggled" positive voltage source directly from the battery but the LED lighting is still confusing the BCM, that is why you need an LED driver or a controller. A load equalizer BEFORE the interior lamp bulb may make the BCM happy but you may need one in each door :( You could use a SIGNAL wire from the factory wiring to the LED driver/controller to tell it to activate your LEDs. You will more than likely still have an issue with the replacement bulbs you installed in the factory interior lamp positions.

I would contact an led lighting retailer they would know a lot more about BCM controlled lighting requirements than I do.

The list of codes you gave is confusing as the codes should have an Identifier such as Bxxx for BCM codes and Pxxx for PCM codes. Wait for @BodybyFisher he can give you a link to reading codes.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

8 hours ago, Fleetwood Slim said:

i haven't confirmed this yet nobody has answered me about the 93 having one in trunk or not

This should be in the owners manual. If you don't have the manual, they are pretty cheap on EBAY. The fuse placements are in the owners manual as well.

I don't recall the RWD Fleetwood having a fuse/relay center in the trunk BUT there are some Fleetwood owners on Caddyinfo that could answer that.

Edited by OldCadTech

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

I saw you posted the codes.  I have no idea what that is or where they came from.    It would be like me saying this, and now, here are the scores from last nights baseball games, 6 to 2, 4 to 1, 5 - 3, wow, 1 - 0 in the 14th inning, and a rainout.   :lol:   That wouldn't mean much would it?  

To enter diagnostic mode to retrieve the codes:

1. Turn ignition "ON."
  2. Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Here is where you look them up.  I video record the DTC dump on my smart phone, so I don't need to replay them and so that they are accurate.

http://z-cut.de/US/dtcobd1.html

One other thing, on your first post its best to detail ALL modifications done to a vehicle so that the person on the other side of the keyboard understands the depth of the potential problems that might be caused by ALL of the modifications.  A simple and proper installation of an alarm is one thing, like an idiot, I came close to asking you the model number so that I could look at the manual to see how it might have been installed, but this developed into a huge expansive problem including poor installation, conflicting systems, chopping of wires, amp, and more.  On this side, we are in the dark, blind and its frustrating to have something develop into this monster of a diagnostic nightmare that it has, that you have been fighting for a couple of years.  That said, we will try to help you and it looks like @oldcadtech has his hands full. 

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

5 hours ago, BodybyFisher said:

I saw you posted the codes.  I have no idea what that is or where they came from.    It would be like me saying this, and now, here are the scores from last nights baseball games, 6 to 2, 4 to 1, 5 - 3, wow, 1 - 0 in the 14th inning, and a rainout.   :lol:   That wouldn't mean much would it?  

To enter diagnostic mode to retrieve the codes:

1. Turn ignition "ON."
  2. Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Here is where you look them up.  I video record the DTC dump on my smart phone, so I don't need to replay them and so that they are accurate.

http://z-cut.de/US/dtcobd1.html

One other thing, on your first post its best to detail ALL modifications done to a vehicle so that the person on the other side of the keyboard understands the depth of the potential problems that might be caused by ALL of the modifications.  A simple and proper installation of an alarm is one thing, like an idiot, I came close to asking you the model number so that I could look at the manual to see how it might have been installed, but this developed into a huge expansive problem including poor installation, conflicting systems, chopping of wires, amp, and more.  On this side, we are in the dark, blind and its frustrating to have something develop into this monster of a diagnostic nightmare that it has, that you have been fighting for a couple of years.  That said, we will try to help you and it looks like @oldcadtech has his hands full. 

Sorry about that, The reason i did not list all mods is because i have removed them all on multiple occasions, and i changed nothing. also alot of the mods came well after this problem started. okay here is how/when it started. i bought the car had it towed to my house because it had a bad axle shaft. the car sat all winter tell i found an axle shaft. at that time the car had no battery problem started right up. I may or may not of added the bulbs in at that time.took the car to car toys. because i was adding hydraulics 4 days later. After getting my car back from car toys i came how got ready to go to eat. i pulled the light switch door bell started ringing. woke up the next day to take it back in. battery dead charged it, took it back. they disconnected the bell. Came home next morning battery dead. charged the batt drove for a while battery was getting over charged and swoll up. had a long drive to drop my car off at the hydraulic shop, so wanted to make sure i made it. replaced my battery,alternator,water pump,radiator,hoses,thermostat,sensors so on. drove car to shop where it was for the next month or so. got the car back. had it a few days battery dead. had to replace battery again. tore out the head unit. sorry for got about that installed head unit 2 days before alarm install. no change. took car back to car toys they said it had nothing to do with there install.

okay so to clear that up the only thing installed prior to the alarm and prior to the problem beginning, was head unit and possibly the bulbs.

pulled head unit for about a week. drain still going on every night. some time it would drain over night some times it would stop and go 3 days tell it drained again.

i then decided that it was not the head unit after about a week and reinstalled.

7 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

When you spliced into the interior light circuit you tied into the BCM, you may have a "toggled" positive voltage source directly from the battery but the LED lighting is still confusing the BCM, that is why you need an LED driver or a controller. A load equalizer BEFORE the interior lamp bulb may make the BCM happy but you may need one in each door :( You could use a SIGNAL wire from the factory wiring to the LED driver/controller to tell it to activate your LEDs. You will more than likely still have an issue with the replacement bulbs you installed in the factory interior lamp positions.

I would contact an led lighting retailer they would know a lot more about BCM controlled lighting requirements than I do.

The list of codes you gave is confusing as the codes should have an Identifier such as Bxxx for BCM codes and Pxxx for PCM codes. Wait for @BodybyFisher he can give you a link to reading codes.

I Must be doing this wrong. I press off and temp up at the same time. all the lights for the different options light up. It then reads "00" if you continue to hold nothing happens. when you let go, it will rear -00. there is nothing that pops up on my cluster and i kind of doubt there will be. back to the ecm or what ever you call it.

00 if you press fan + or - it will give you a list of numbers 00-32 i beleave. so say you press up once the number will change from 00 to 01. If you then press outside temp it will then display a set of numbers codes whatever. the list of numbers i gave you is what its displaying. there are no E, I, A, R, T or S anywhere that i am seeing.

what am i doing wrong?

did codes again 01-05

-01 _124_125_131_133_123  one im think is the code stored in history so it 24_25_31_33_23

-02 listed no code 00

-03_00 no code

-04_00 no code

-05_ 56

here is where i have been looking http://www.troublecodes.net/cadillac/fleetwood-5-7l/

the problem with that is i'm not seeing all the codes the ecu is listing there so i still dont know if i'm doing it right or wrong.

Be careful pushing buttons, you could accidently override a setting.

OK my bad, I didn't pick up that you had a Fleetwood Brougham 

Sorry my mistake, you are correct with the Fleetwood link, in my mind, I had you with a 4.9 system.

You should not toggle through them I don't think, I think the codes will flash up.  I am going to leave this to @oldcadtech he may be more familiar with this.   Our member @KHE is very familiar but I have not seen him for awhile.

This is the methodology from your link:

Using A/C control panel
  • Switch ignition ON.
  • Simultaneously press and hold ‘OFF’ and ‘TEMP UP’ buttons [3]- [1] & [2].
  • When all segments of the display H [3]-3 illuminate: Release the ‘OFF’ and ‘TEMP UP’ buttons [3]- [1] & [2].
  • Parameter number ‘-00’ (ECM codes) will be displayed [3] 3.
  • Press and release the ‘OUT TEMP’ button [3] 4.
  • Buttons ‘FAN SPEED UP’ and ‘FAN SPEED DOWN’ [3] 5 increase or decrease the parameter numbers.
  • Display will alternate between ECM parameter number ‘-00’ and the trouble code at 1.6 second intervals [3] 3.
  • Trouble codes will be displayed in ascending order.
  • Cycle will be repeated after all ECM trouble codes have been displayed.
  • If no ECM trouble codes are stored, trouble code ’00’ will be displayed.
  • To end diagnosis:
  • Press the ‘AUTO’ button [3] 6
  •  

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

21 minutes ago, BodybyFisher said:

Be careful pushing buttons, you could accidently override a setting.

OK my bad, I didn't pick up that you had a Fleetwood Brougham 

Sorry my mistake, you are correct with the Fleetwood link, in my mind, I had you with a 4.9 system.

You should not toggle through them I don't think, I think the codes will flash up.  I am going to leave this to @oldcadtech he may be more familiar with this.   Our member @KHE is very familiar but I have not seen him for awhile.

This is the methodology from your link:

Using A/C control panel
  • Switch ignition ON.
  • Simultaneously press and hold ‘OFF’ and ‘TEMP UP’ buttons [3]- [1] & [2].
  • When all segments of the display H [3]-3 illuminate: Release the ‘OFF’ and ‘TEMP UP’ buttons [3]- [1] & [2].
  • Buttons ‘FAN SPEED UP’ and ‘FAN SPEED DOWN’ [3] 5 increase or decrease the parameter numbers.
  • Display will alternate between ECM parameter number ‘-00’ and the trouble code at 1.6 second intervals [3] 3.
  • Trouble codes will be displayed in ascending order.
  • Cycle will be repeated after all ECM trouble codes have been displayed.
  • If no ECM trouble codes are stored, trouble code ’00’ will be displayed.
  • To end diagnosis:
  • Press the ‘AUTO’ button [3] 6
  •  

lol, you just told me not to do it, and right under that you paste directions on how to do it.

1 minute ago, Fleetwood Slim said:

1 minute ago, Fleetwood Slim said:

You should not toggle through them I don't think, I think the codes will flash up.

55 minutes ago, Fleetwood Slim said:

lol, you just told me not to do it, and right under that you paste directions on how to do it.

Yes, that is true, I did, I had mistakenly thought you had a 4.9 system, the fleetwood is a different system.  In the 4.9 system you can override defaults and cause problems.  

Once you posted your fleetwood link, the light went off in my brain and I realized the fleetwood 5.7 is different, I tend to lump it in with the Deville 4.9 in error. 

I should have deleted that statement, but its because I just realize it was a fleetwood.  My bad I hope I didnt confuse you

1 minute ago, BodybyFisher said:

Yes, that is true, I did, I had mistakenly thought you had a 4.9 system, the fleetwood is a different system.  In the 4.9 system you can override defaults and cause problems.  

Once you posted your link, the light went off in my brain and I realized the fleetwood 5.7 is different, I tend to lump it in with the Deville 4.9 in error. 

I should have deleted that statement, but its because I just realize it was a fleetwood.  My bad. 

all good

this is what i just did. door open 1.00a meter on 10a

Bcm turns off. 00.4

00.1a = 1000ma

for some reason the Bcm got triggered again stayed on for a while 10mins or so 08.8

BCM off 00.4

Started pullin fuses, I mean out no replacing.

pulled all fuses from bottom up when i got to #34 CCM power droped to 0.03

kept pulling got to #19 RAP PWR pulled and got 0.13

Backtracked 4 fuses and no change. continued pulling

Pulled #20 HVAC 0.13

pulled all fuses on side dash exect #34 CCM

You said this, and I think it is a very important clue,

"for some reason the Bcm got triggered again stayed on for a while 10mins or so 08.8"

Try to figure out, what triggered the BCM.