CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Has your Northstar been Timeserted?

JasonA

Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

• 1 year later...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blown front head gasket, split block at cyl.# 7 to starter and busted radiator. Thank God I work at Oreilly's 120000 miles bolt holes not stripped, I'm in the process of getting block tigged, oh yeah forgot all the water ruined my starter!!! BUT I STILL LOVE MY 99 DEVILLEpost-14970-12796023854_thumb.gif

• 6 years later...

In short Car has almost 95 thousand miles on it and I'm unsure if it's been time serted or not at this time. Runs good no issues.

I realize this is an old thread, sorry to revive it if that is not wanted. This thread is very informational and intriguing, however I had a couple of questions. First off last year around October? I think, I purchased a 98 Cadillac Deville with 93 thousand miles. Purchased from a local car lot, stopped by and snagged the vin number and ran a service history on it. It has about 40-50 lines of service done in the past. First 7 years was done at a Cadillac dealership and almost all of the rest was done at what seemed to be a reputable shop. Car was a 1 owner so I opted to buy it because it seemed like a cool car. Ran good and still runs good. Before I purchased it I test drove it and knew everything it needed. I put about $300ish dollars worth of work into it, oil change, coolant change, rear knuckle bushings, new serpentine and water pump belts, Tentioner pullies, Idler pulley bearing ect.

went over the car and tightened what bolts were loose, one bolt was so loose it was falling out of the alternator and the bolts were finger tight on the intake.

The big question is: How does a person know if their north star has had head gaskets replaced and/or been time serted? Is there anything to look for? Anything that could stand out that could indicate replacement? I'm not sure Mine has been done.

I should add this car isn't a daily driver either but I usually drive it once or so a week to keep things lubricated. In this service history, several things are not listed that I know have been changed, an example is the battery and Catalytic converter, I know these were changed and they show up nowhere on the service history. however several lines indicate "vehicle serviced" and that is all it says so who knows what they did there.

I know the oil was changed religiously and the coolant reasonably changed, Transmission serviced ect.

so I reiterate  How does a person know if their northstar has had head gaskets replaced and/or been time serted? Is there anything to look for? Anything that could stand out that could indicate replacement?

Thanks alot. P.S I did vote honestly... I don't know at this time. Any ideas on how to find out?

Edited by Cadillac98
Mis spelling

Unless you have some service documentation that indicates the headgaskets were replaced, there isn't an easy way to know unless there are aluminum shavings on the block somewhere.

My guess is that with only 93,000 miles, it most likely has not been Timeserted.  Keep the coolant changed on a regular basis and drive it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

9 hours ago, KHE said:

My guess is that with only 93,000 miles, it most likely has not been Timeserted.  Keep the coolant changed on a regular basis and drive it.

I figured the same thing too. Thanks alot for the reply.

• 3 years later...

Hi

I just wanted to chime in. I have had 2 engines with the Northstar engine and both achieved at least 360 k miles in total without problems. Regular coolant changes is the biggest contributing factor to keep the head gaskets happy according to the "guru", a guy working on GM perfomance division. Change every two years if Dex-Cool is the factory fill. Every year if it is the green stuff.