CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac's Crossover Do-Over, the XT5, Gets It Mostly Right

By that standard, the Cadillac XT5 will make its parents proud on any play date, even against private-schoolers like the BMW X3 or Audi Q5. The tall-saddled XT5 isn’t as exciting to drive as Cadillac’s lauded sport sedans, but it’s a veritable Ferrari versus suburban softies like the Lexus RX or Lincoln MKX.

this-year-model-2017-cadillac-xt5_hero.j

read more: http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/4173/cadillacs-crossover-do-over-the-xt5-gets-it-mostly-right?xid=the-drive_socialflow_twitter

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I bought an XT5 yesterday; it is a white tri-coat with cirrus interior and is the luxury model with nav/bose.  This purchase was a response to my getting rear-ended approximately 6 weeks ago in my '11 STS (which I loved) and was totaled.  In its dying breaths, the STS performed flawlessly, in protecting its driver and passenger (me and my wife).  It was a five car wreck in which we (the STS) was first hit.  Even in its crumpled state, she (the STS) drove us home 300 miles; it's a sad story but other than a bruised arm (me) and a bruised chest (my wife, from the safety belt), we consider ourselves lucky.  I trust our new XT5 will also do us in good stead.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Wow - congrats on the XT5.  I hope you will post a full review once you have had it a bit.  They seem very nice.  Sorry the STS got hit, glad you are both okay.

:nopicssmiley: just saying. 

Bruce

Oh, you want the whole story, that's a bird of a different feather.

So, we're on our way from Arkansas heading back to S.C., not quite almost home (stopping in Atlanta for some lunch, and in retrospect, our downfall) :(  Just off the interstate, waiting at a stoplight (completely stopped) and bam (what was that), oh no, we've just been wrecked.  Hit from behind, pushed into a Ford 450 truck, who then hit a Cadillac CTS and  the CTS into another (the another left the scene for one reason or another).  

We were hit by a pickup truck going at a pretty good clip (don't know for sure how fast but he did get the ticket).  So after the Sheriff's report and calling around to see if someone could look at our vehicle (no one open on a Saturday afternoon) we decided to see if she (our STS) had it in her to get us home (approximately 300 more miles).  Anyway we get on the highway, get her up to about 50 (no shimmy/shake), take her up to 60 (still good to good) so we pour it on and travel the speed limit back home (we got a lot of strange looks as people passed us, as in, you are driving that car? :) ).  Prior to the hit we were getting about 30 mpg, so when I checked, and we were still getting 29'ish (not as aerodynamic naturally), not over heating (at all), I figure mechanically we were okay.  Had the airbags gone off we wouldn't have tried it.

After getting home and the STS to the collision center the verdict was just too much damage to repair; everything back from the passenger compartment was 'accordion'd', which to me meant she performed as designed. 

I have more picture of both vehicles (if interested) but I posted minimally as I had already hijacked the thread (sorry about that).

Chuck

Gosh, that didn't sound safe to drive home, but glad it worked.  How did you decide on the XT5 vs an XTS, CTS, or CT6?

Bruce

I looked hard at the XTS (I mostly use the Caddy for trips and vacations), need the trunk room.  Insurance  settlement on an '11 STS was not even half for a new Caddy so my budget was a factor (as I wanted a new Caddy this time).  My two former STS's were both CPO (and very reasonable).  With the XT5 brand new, the deal was okay (but not stellar), small wiggle room, but with the settlement, the GM card and bonus, some savings and a loan, I was able to swing it.  My other car is an '04 Bravada and we were thinking of downsizing to one vehicle so we thought a crossover would fill the bill.

Chuck

The XT5 should make a good trip/vacation vehicle.  You mentioned Luxury Model with Nav/Bose --

Luxury Features

Includes or replaces features on XT5, plus:

• UltraView® Sunroof
  • Leather seating surfaces with driver and front passenger heated
  • Memory package with two presets for power driver's seat, outside mirrors and power tilt and telescoping steering column.
  • Heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors with driver-side auto dimming
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Cargo Management System with U-Rail, adjustable cargo fence and retractable cargo shade
  • Front and Rear Park Assist
  • Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • Rainsense® front wipers
  • Automatic-dimming rearview mirror
  • Lighting accent along console
  • 18" bright machined faced aluminum wheels with Light Argent accents and run-flat tires10

Then the Premium Luxury has Nav/Bose -- so is yours the Luxury + those as options?  That all sounds like a well equipped XT5.

I am interested to hear your impressions.

Bruce

Ours is a FWD Luxury with white tri-coat paint and nav/bose.  (But we don't have run-flats).  I am still a bit overwhelmed with what this car can do.  Stop/start stinks (IMO) but is easily overridden by shifting to manual mode when approaching areas in which there will be a lot of stop and go.  While the intrusion when the stop/start engages is minimal it can be felt, and if there are a lot of those cycles (say in accident scenario when you are creeping in traffic, I would have concerns with the starter (in the long run).  Re-starts are fairly instant after you remove your foot from the brake.

The engine is the new LGX (or something like that) and it has the electronic 8-speed tranny; so far I like it.  Power is very good but I haven't 'nailed it' yet (only 70 something miles) but I did run up and down the revs in manual mode (no higher that 4500 to secure ring break-in, after warming it up to normal operating temperatures).  I am of the crowd that a good initial engine exercise is healthy for a long term engine health.

She rides pretty quiet but not in the league of my STS (I know different kind of vehicle but still it is my measure to compare).  Handles securely but again not as well as the STS (though I haven't had many highway miles yet) so I will reserve judgement.

Interior is top-notch in my book, and here I'll give the nod to the XT5 over the STS (even though I had no complaints in my STS).  And there is even more refined interiors in the more premium models.

Nice wheels with Michilen Premier tires

http://IMG_1811_zpsepnh4fgf.jpg

Side view

http://IMG_1812_zpsesrrkai6.jpg

Chuck

Very nice.  Yes, that's right the XT5 got a new 8-speed transmission:

A new 8-speed automatic transmission is standard for the XT5, which also debuts Electronic Precision Shift – the first electronically controlled transmission shifter for a Cadillac. Electronic Precision Shift reduces noise and vibration, and allows further use of the cabin space with a storage space beneath the center console.

That should work nicely with the LGX 3.6L

I think start/stop will be in all cars soon, and we'll just have to get used to it.  I suspect with the high voltage systems the wear on the starter is minimal, but we'll see as you say.  Thanks for adding more pics; it is a good looking Cadillac. 

This is interesting: The rear liftgate of the XT5 includes hands-free operation, allowing it to open or close via gesture control beneath the rear bumper.

Bruce

Archived