CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good evening to all!

I am the current owner of a '99 STS with a blown head gasket. So sad at 172,k.. I resorted to driving it back and forth to work throughout the winter. It did fine. No hills. Weather warmed up and the cost of coolant was prohibitive. Looking at a few Caddy's in my area. Want to know your thoughts on 2005 STS V8 RWD. I've been dying for another RWD since my '94 Lincoln Town Car! What a pleasure to drive. This one has 70,k. I have access to a code scanner, and will be test driving it Saturday. I know 2005 is the First Generation AND First year. Not thrilled about that, but I see the only recall was for the leaking pinion seal on the rear end. Once that is repaired, are they prone to leak again? Is this something I can keep and eye on and do the fix myself, if it comes up again? I remember when these first came out, and I knew I had to have one. It's just not in the cards right now to by a newer model, so I want to take a calculated risk on this 2005. I know the V-8's were the upper end cars...I think 1SD and higher? It is pearl white, sun roof, parking sensors, XM radio, Navigation. Hope to see it is a 1SG or 1SG. Please leave me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for you time,

Ohio Jim

When GM recalls because of a part that fails, the part is re-designed to fix the problem, tested, and produced in volume before the recall is started. I think that everybody does that.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Cadillac Jim,

Thanks for all the information. I was able to get the VIN, and safercar.gov says all recalls complete, so I feel better about that. Some of these were also recalled for rear suspension issues. I am waiting on the RPO codes. They are not on the lid to the spare cover, so he will look under the spare. Do you know if I must run premium gas with this engine? My '99 called for it and since the gas companies are going nuts with the premium gas prices, I'd rather not.

Thanks again,

Ohio Jim

since the gas companies are going nuts with the premium gas prices, I'd rather not.

Thanks again,

Ohio Jim

You can say that again! It used to be that premium was only 20 cents more per gallon, heck, now it can be as much as 80 cents per gallon more than regular. It seems like that started 2 or 3 years ago.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Beginning with the 2000 model year, the Northstar recommends regular gas. I would suggest that you try the intermediate grade once in a while after you get accustomed to the car, to see if there is any performance benefit.

I've read recent articles that say that since a lot of cars are coming with 2.0 liter turbos as standard engines to meet performance, emissions, and economy requirements, and these newer standard engines recommend premium fuel, that fuel companies have raised the price of premium fuel. This, of course, is price gouging.

I recommend that you use GasBuddy http://www.gasbuddy.com/ or MapQuest's http://gasprices.mapquest.com and shop around a bit. I've found that gas prices vary enormously in our local area, including premium fuel mark-ups. Both now allow you to specify regular, multigrade, premium, or diesel fuel as well as your ZIP code. Look for cell phone apps for traveling.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Not to hijack this thread but I haven't purchased premium for my Northstars since the guru said it wasn't necessary about 16 years ago.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

All,

Thanks for the lively discussion.... KHE, why didn't you tell me! I never knew! Just kidding. Well I will keep the information you have provided handy, because the car was sold today... before I could get over there! Seems as though the seller was keeping me in his back pocket, because when I offered to drive over from work on Wednesday, or come Thursday afternoon instead of going straight to work, I got no response! Now it was sold to "someone we knew locally"! How convenient! Oh well, the search for Truth, Justice, and a LOW MILEAGE STS CONTINUES!

Ohio Jim

All,

I don't want you all to think I went over to the dark side completely, by possibly purchasing an Import... I am trying to set up two STS' for Friday test drives. They are 75 miles from home, but close to each other. '07 with everything...I hope that includes a V-8! The other is an '05 V-8. Leaving messages but no response yet!

I'll let you know,

Ohio Jim

Oh well, the search for Truth, Justice, and a LOW MILEAGE STS CONTINUES!

Ohio Jim

Be sure and bring a code reader, sniff the overflow tank, and get a CarFAX.

Cadillac Jim,

Okay, so I finally get in touch with both sellers today. Blah, Blah, Blah...both are rebuilt titles, even though they neglected to call them out as such on Craig's List! I Googled the VIN with the word 'salvage' on the 05 STS. It must have bee hit by a cement mixer! Trashed.... Guy says it's all better now. The salvage price was $895! He wants $7,990, non-negotiable. Says he has an STS-V on its way next.

Second guy says he'll send the vin, four hours ago... Probably not going to happen...V8 with everything except Nav. I just want to see the picture from the salvage listing...He just put an intake gasket on it and it merely needs a wheel bearing... with 45,k on the ODO?

So the search continues...

Now About that overflow tank...Are we still concerned about head gaskets? I thought that was done pretty much in 2000. I thought they added another tread to the head bolts and all was well. My son just warned me off from an '02, so I didn't go see it. Are you smelling the overflow tank it as it warms up? Trying to smell for exhaust gases? Man I can't take another blown head gasket car! I was under the impression when the N* came around in 2005, that was all done! What about issues with V6's? I'm not real happy about timing chains, but that appears to be something I could tackle.

Thanks for continuing to help me with your kind words of wisdom... Man, I am starting to lose faith in these Caddies...I want nothing more than a RWD V8 1SG Caddy before I kick off the planet...Not looking to promising..

Sincerely,

Ohio Jim

A V6 that has had the timing chain recall should be good to go. Others that fix lots of them every day may have more on this.

So long as dealers never recommend a coolant change and cars get old, you will never stop seeing problems with old aluminum engines. Nowadays that's just about all of them.

The safest time to smell a surge tank or overflow tank is with a cold engine. Any significant head leakage over any amount of time will be detectable that way. Fresh coolant will do away with the smell (and a positive test of the coolant for combustion by-products) for a time; how long depends on how bad the head leakage is and how the car is driven.

Another test that's hard to fake is to start a cold engine, run it for about 30 seconds, then shut it down and see if there is any smell of coolant in the exhaust. Again, if the head leakage is very slight, the car might pass this test.

Both tests depend to some degree on how discriminating your sniffer is. Bring the wife or a son/daughter if your nose is a bit jaded, or if you have a cold.

Cadillac Jim,

Man you seem to have your act together! I cannot even recall these facts after I read them. I print them out and study before I go to see the car. Waiting on response from this owner...

New STS on the horizon. '06 38,k. I know a guy...car is tied up in probate... possibly another two weeks. I think I may have a lock on first dibs. All I know is V-6. Trying to get the VIN and RPO codes. Do you know where the RPO codes are found on an '06 STS? The guy quit texting me once I asked for the VIN and Codes. Who knows, maybe he will send them when he is good and ready. I really don't want to wait two more weeks, but I will if I have to!

Thanks again, Jim

Ohio Jim,

I had the dreaded pulled head bolt problem ten years ago. Full understanding of the problem was out there but general knowledge of the whole thing was still spotty. The smell test is based on my personal experience. I knew what was going on long before anyone rolled over and accepted the reality of the situation. Got a Jasper installed over July 4 holiday in 2006, car downtime was zero work days, which worked for me because I had a daunting commute at that time. The definitive test for me was a pressure test done by an ASE-certified general mechanic. He declined to to the Timesert job because he hadn't done one before, leading me to the Jasper. I would rather have kept my original engine.

If you have the VIN, you can get the RPO lost online. I've found them by doing a web search on the VIN; I don't see a web site that does this offhand.

The RPOs for Cadillacs are usually on a sticker on the bottom of the spare tire cover in the trunk. Take a cell phone photo of it and copy the RPOs into a spreadsheet or a word processor table later. Other things on that sticker are the VIN and the paint codes.

I think that stopping communication when you ask for a VIN is a red flag. It may be that he doesn't have the time to go and find it and tap it into his cell phone or some such, OR he figures a CarFAX will show a deal-breaker.

Cadillac Jim,

Well he did send the RPO Codes along with the VIN. SaferCar.gov says no open recalls. RPO says it is a 1SB. Not bad. Has memory package, Sunroof, (No sun roof is a deal breaker for me). Speaker system 8, (bummer, no Bose). Soft Ride Suspension, polished wheels.

All in all the '06 should make a good work car...AND it's rear wheel DRIVE BABY!

I spent all of Saturday taking the '99 STS apart to replace the crossover gaskets. I have a broken thumb, so I got down to the crossover, and stalled. Without more strength in my right hand, there is no way I have the patience to get that thing out! The wiring harness is impossibly tight across the crossover. I was only doing it to buy more time while I wait for the '06 STS...Figured I could continue to drive the car with a blown head gasket, if it did not blow out all the coolant In three miles...LOL Starting tomorrow, I am borrowing my son's 2002 STS until I get something to drive.

Thanks for the lesson..

Ohio Jim

Archived