CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The only reason to put that stuff in a northstar is to trick/lie to someone! IF you intend to disclose what the problem is, then the sealer is going to make it that much more of a pain to repair. It has never been reported on this forum that any version of sealer in a bottle works as a repair for any length of time. If you are on here looking for conformation that you can pawn this car off as a good engine, I believe you are in the wrong place. So, if it were me and I didn't want to repair it, I would just let the buyer know what the problem is and get what I could for it. There are people willing to buy them and repair them.

That's well and good I have been honest and up front and soon as people hear its a coolant leak they walk and want the car for nothing I have owned this car for 16 years and now I have listed for $600.00 and I cant sell it its worth more then in parts wreckers offered me $75.00 you say there are people willing to buy them and repair them only true if people love cadillacs so perhaps you can find me a buyer

What are some details on the car? Miles, color, condition, location, etc.? That might make it easier for someone who is looking on the web for a car to repair to choose your car.

As airmike said, no sealer in a bottle will repair a headgasket leak. All it will do is load the engine, heater core, and radiator with goop that will make it difficult to impossible to repair or make it that much more expensive to repair.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree with you about people walking when they hear the headgasket is the problem. These cars are expensive to do, unless you are able and willing to do it yourself. It looks like you are in Michigan so I doubt I can be much help finding you a buyer. I hope you do find someone and they save a wonderful car. Being in Mich, is it rusted?

I agree with you about people walking when they hear the headgasket is the problem. These cars are expensive to do, unless you are able and willing to do it yourself. It looks like you are in Michigan so I doubt I can be much help finding you a buyer. I hope you do find someone and they save a wonderful car. Being in Mich, is it rusted?

I'm in Michigan, I have no Idea where the original poster is located.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Nearly always a head bolt or two is pulled before a Northstar will have serious head leakage, and nothing will fix that short of a head gasket job that includes inserts for the head bolt threads.

A photo or two of the car would help. Be brutal, and show any dents or rust or whatever, so any remarks we make can be actually helpful to you. Put the photo on Photobucket or Image Shack or some such and use the "insert photo" mini-icon to put them into a post here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm in Michigan, I have no Idea where the original poster is located.

I'm an idiot sometimes, I looked at your info KHE. guess that is obvious by now :blush:

That's well and good I have been honest and up front and soon as people hear its a coolant leak they walk and want the car for nothing I have owned this car for 16 years and now I have listed for $600.00 and I cant sell it its worth more then in parts wreckers offered me $75.00 you say there are people willing to buy them and repair them only true if people love cadillacs so perhaps you can find me a buyer

Its showing as a 97, based on your profile. On KBB in EXCELLENT condition and it doesn't look like yours is in excellent condition (you say too many repairs, plus the head gasket) they go for about $2900. A junk yard motor if you can find one is about $700 to $1000, plus installation cost of about $1000, leaves about $900, less any parts needed during the new install of say $300 (engine mounts, seals, belts, tensioners, water pump, etc), leaving $600 and a LOT of RISK. The car is virtually worthless with a blown head gasket and that is using a junk yard motor, a reconditioned, resealed, timeserted motor will cost more. Call around for junk yards, $75 sounds light, $200 is what the rate is here in NY.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

​I think I got a blowen head gasket I need to sell this to many repairs has anyone used head gasket sealer the stuff you put in the rad Thanks

Did you perform the combustion dye test? Did you check the purge line to inspect if it is clogged. There might be other causes of overheating that are easy to fix. If you are taking the car to a mechanic that is unfamiliar with these engines, they will just throw parts at it rather than understand what is really wrong.

There are 3 different J-42385-xxx Time-Sert / Kent Moore head bolt thread repair kits depending on year of the Northstar engine. The 500, 2000, and 2030 kits.

All 3 are available for rental by us....

www.ledfix.com/j42385toolrental.html

There are people out there that are crazy enough to buy one with the head problem (me for example)

Only problem is it leaves a short window for other repairs. I payed 900 for my current DD, and had to have a engine put in it. Then on top of that it needs a handful of everything else. So I am already in mine for over 3k. That is the reason why I try to get them for cheap. I would rather buy it than see it get junked.

If you have owned it for a long time and it has proven itself worthy I would hold onto it and have it repaired. Then it will last another 20 years

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If your paying over 750 for 99' and prior that needs head gaskets your paying too much. I just picked up a 98' deville concours LOADED for 700$. Parts are so cheap for these cars its silly.

I can't tell you how many people install stop leak, blue devil and other products in the cooling system. 8/10 jobs for me there is an additive in the cooling system. STOP LEAK, BLUE DEVIL, MECHANIC- IN- A -CAN DOESN'T WORK!

Yeah, not only does the head-gasket-repair-in-a-can not work, it is a headache to get out of the cooling system so that the car can get all its engine cooling capacity working properly again.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived