CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DailyNews: Dodge Challenger Hellcat VS. Cadillac ATS-V Coupe

We’re living in a golden age for muscle cars. Almost every brand has a performance car as its halo atop a range spanning from hatchbacks to crossovers. The race to imbue them with more and more horsepower goes on uninterrupted, much to our delight.

For a while, it seemed like true American supercars were being outpaced by European entries, led by Mercedes-AMG and BMW’s M division. But we’re very happy to report that the American muscle car market is alive and well.

That's why we brought together two of the best, for a head-to-head showdown between the Cadillac ATS-V Coupe and the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat.

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/latest-reviews/comparison-2016-cadillac-ats-v-coupe-v-2016-dodge-challeng-article-1.2517911

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Interesting that they didn't compare the Hellcat with the CTS-V, or give numbers. Its revealing that handling isn't mentioned or even hinted at, other than using the "finishing school" metaphor about the ATS-V. But the fact that the Dodge is a mid-priced car while the Cadillac is a luxury brand made the prices very similar.

Another problem I have with an opinion in the article is stating that the ATS-V does not fit well into a continuum of models in the Cadillac line "like the AMG series." This tells me that he doesn't realize that there are four models there; the V-Sport cars are not on the radar of the author, and some of these come in a two-door coupe as well as the more-often-seen four-door sedan, and we had a station wagon in the lineup until this year. There are other Cadillacs out there with high performance, and all of them have suspensions that provide handling and braking to provide a very competent overall package.

A fluff piece, albeit interesting. A better comparison, between the 707-hp Hellcat and the CTS-V, shows similar straight-line performance. The CTS-V is track-ready and has a solid sports car road racing pedigree, while the Challenger Hellcat may or may not be a reasonable starting point for building a car that can perform respectably on a road race track while maintaining its straight-line performance.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

A comparison between a CTS Vsport, a new CTS-V, and the ATS-V would be insightful. I lfind I earn more from bmw to bmw comparisons than others because you get less brand fervor and more detailed analysis.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I agree with both of you, a fluff piece, and they should have included the CTS-V; mentioning 'like' prices as a major influence just doesn't make sense. These cars are very different in execution and purpose; I don't get it.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

It appears that they took two hot-button cars of about the same price, as configured for the article, and said how great they both were. The main takeaway that I get is that the ATS-V is a hot-button car right now whose button hotness is comparable to that of the Challenger Hellcat.

The cars themselves are not at all comparable. One is a throwback to a 60's muscle car and the other is holds the manufacturer's title in the Pirelli World Challenge.

Still lust for the 1969 Z28? the Hellcat probably won't handle as well, but is otherwise in the same spirit.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived