CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 DeVille PCV valve location

Where is the PCV valve located? I took the engine cover off and I saw what looked like the PCV valve in the rear valve cover, but it looks like it is pressed into the valve cover as there was no rubber grommet.

I'm in the process of trying to eliminate all the mysterious oil disappearing issues. I'm putting two quarts of oil in every three weeks and it's getting dang annoying & expensive :angry:

I only fill it to the middle of the hash marks on the dip stick

Here is the history on the car.

We purchased the car in Nov 2015 with just under 98k miles. I believe we are the third owner of the car.

The previous owner owned it from 2010-2015. He only put 25K on the car in 5 years. My wife has put 7k on it in only three months.

I'm pretty sure this car has always been babied (and my wife babies it too) so I'm willing to bet the main reason for the mysterious disappearing oil is the carbon build up I've read about here.

I'm not seeing an oil drips under the car and there is no oil on the oil pan or bottom of the car so I don't believe it's leaking.

Since I only to get to drive the car when it needs gas or a wash (which is usually after dark) I don't know/can't tell if it's burning oil.

Since the car was babied, the most likely problem is that the rings are gummed up, a common problem in long-babied cars including Northstars. Your oil fill level is a good one. I have a few suggestions:

Make sure that the oil in the car is a good grade of 10W-30 as recommended in the owners' manual (or 5W-30 Mobil 1, the premium dealer fill recommendation).

Put a tank or two of 92 or 93 octane gas in it.

Put a can of Techroline in the gas.

Take a road trip with a total highway speed mileage of 500 miles or more, 1000 miles is better. You don't have to do it in one trip. Two or three shorter trips on successive weekends is OK.

And, yes, you can change the PCV valve with your hand in a few minutes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thank you for the suggestions.

So that is indeed the PCV in the rear valve cover?

I did notice the rubber connector is cracked between the vacuum line and PCV. Is this a dealer only part? I've not had the greatest luck with the Help parts at the local auto parts stores.

The right-angle rubber fitting that fits over the PCV valve is a custom part that you will not see as a generic part. It should be inexpensive through dealers and online GM outlets like GMPartsDirect.com and others (but watch the shipping costs unless you order it with something else!).

On the Cadillac I owned before the CTS-V, I had a mechanic replace mine with a right-angle plug boot. That rubber isn't resistant to oil the way that a PCV hose must be, and not too long afterward I could hear something like a duck quacking under the hood; it was that boot gone soft and collapsing. I replaced it with a dealer part. That was some years ago and I don't recall the number, but the fact that I don't recall how much it cost means that it was not a startlingly high price.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

first off 7k in just 3 months is great. That should be plenty good enough to work the engine.

I have to be honest, I was putting 1200 miles a month on my 2001 eldorado with hard acceleration and mostly highway driving, I put 12k on it and got tired of the consumption. Never saw a drop on the ground but I had to put oil in it too much for my liking. I was putting about 1.5 to 2 quarts a month. It seemed I always had the hood open adding more oil.

I sold it and bought a 97 Deville. so far I have not had to add any oil. I put 1400 miles on it in the last month.

My 97 Seville uses no oil either. It gets driven hard and long.

My 96 Deville used very little oil even with high miles and a crankcase leak.

I am not the only one that has had the oil consumption problem with the early 2000s Northstar.

A good friend of mine had his 2001 Deville for a long time. Drove it hard and got rid of it because of the same problem. It drank oil.

Hopefully the pcv valve will help your issue. Has the check engine light come on? High oil consumption can cause a 0420 code because the oil gets into the cat and causes problems.

Best of luck to you

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived